iPhone Owners Smashing Device to Get Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I would like to dispute the "they are very hard to break" claim. I have seen NUMEROUS cracked screens from people just dropping them while getting out of there car.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Don't give them the lastest version. Give them the version they broke.[/citation]
Agreed. Hell, give them a refurb. That'll show anyone greedy enough to break a perfectly good phone in an attempt to get a newer model. I mean, what kind of insurance policy even agrees to an upgrade like that in the first place? Maybe if there weren't any of the old ones lying around, but people would have to wait months for that to happen.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Is the insurance company sure the iPhone owners aren't just pissed they got screwed out of things they though were coming during their hardware revision?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Four in ten of the iPhone claims received by Supercover is deemed "suspicious."

and i can think of soooo many ways to destroy a phone and not make it look suspicious

for example,
- sparky to the plug of iphone, and fry the electrics
- overvolt the usb charging it (external usb charger)
- no more or ppl will start getting inspired, and no, i dont have an iPhone, never will

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
is that a joke? Every person I know that owns an iPhone has had the screen cracked on em One was on a 3 foot drop from the couch to a hardwood floor. Shattered. Dont think for a second that apple builds a quality product in this day in age. Every software update and product update Apple makes, quality gets signficantly worse.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pweeb[/nom]Good!!! Abuse the insurance companies and see how they like it. Keep it up[/citation]

pfft, what do you think they are going to do? go crying to mom? confess to finally seeing how evil they are and changing there ways? helping to cure cancer?

no, they will just charge everyone, especially people using the service properly MORE for their insurance to cover costs.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
A-holes like these are why insurance costs sooo much.
they will just charge everyone, especially people using the service properly MORE for their insurance to cover costs.

Actually I'd say insanely fat profit margins are why insurance costs so much - but yea this might contribute too.

In general for electronics retail, extended warranties and service plans come with fatter profit margins than almost anything else in the store. Ask anyone who works retail. (thats counting people who abuse it.)

G

This is the same insurance company that says they will replace your phone within 48 hours, only they then change the terms but forget to tell you.

They do replace the broken/stolen iPhone with the same model.

With the hassle I've seen with friends who have either had their iPhone stolen or a legitimately damaged phone - I wouldn't touch this company with a barge pole.

G

Yeah, I assumed this was going on because of an eBay incident I ran into. I found a broken iPhone on the ground with a completely shattered screen (just utterly destroyed) and potentially water damaged (it was in a pile of snow when I found it). I put it up on eBay, thinking someone might want it for parts (especially since it was a 3G with the biggest hard drive). I list everything wrong, say it's completely broken, no cords, probably doesn't turn on, selling it as-is for parts.

It got over 20 bids and the winning bid was $265. Crazy! I knew they must be scamming either Apple or some insurance company.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I have a friend who microwaves his video cards every now and then to get an "equal or better replacement" from the vendor, so I'm not surprised at all at this.

G

LOL @ insurance market..

I didn't take out insurance on my phone because i didn't want to pay them $7 extra per month.. 2 months after i got it... i had to replace my screen at my cost.. would have cost me $14... instead cost me $150. So that means... 2 months in, $136 down in my pocket..

Now, after latest forced firmware upgrade, it DISABLED my WIFI "cannot connect to wifi network" on EVERY WIFI i tried..... I tried everything from looking up internet, reinstalling base OS, restoring, clearing network settings blah blah... Phone is useless to me without WIFI...

This is 3 months AFTER my damn phone elapsed its own 1yo warranty (still paying phone off though for another 9 months sigh!)

So 12 months * $7 = $84.. not sure if the "extra" insurance goes on after crap warranty of 1 year.

SO i'm still down $74 by not getting insurance.. I LOSE lol...

However, given i swapped my phone with my wife, jailbroke hers , i'm getting MUCH more enjoyment out of looking at new things without spending the $$$$$ on all the crap software to find good things..

I have purchased two items since jailbreaking - the sleep clock and the qik video after i saw those two neat apps ... if a app is worth it, i'll buy it... I've wasted a lot of $$ on crappo stuff too haha.

But back to insurance... they will raise premiums or have specific terms built in to address this.. next time i think i'll get the insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.