Viewing 3D on a non 3D TV?

jordan2323

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I recently got a new PC with a HD 6950 and i seen that it supports 3D. I also have the 3570k. If I get a 3D blue ray player and a 3D supported HDMI cable can I watch 3D movies on a non 3D TV? The TV does support HD.

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
No, you cant. You will mostly likely get the same picture side by side, as your TV can't overlay the two like a 3D TV does. You need a 3D monitor or TV to be able to watch your film in 3D.

raybabyray

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Yeah man, get an LG smart tv or something if you really want to see 3D. The only 3D you can view on a non 3D TV is anaglyph which is basically using the blue and red filter glasses from the olden times. Remember Hannah Montana 3D the movie? Yes, it's that bad lol.

axp.bitcoin

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

I would certainly be interested in such a solution. I had a nice Samsung Active 3D TV but it has since died I want my 3D back...

Passive 3D, which requires glasses with a red and green filters, will work on any TV. It originated in the 50s for movie theaters so some films from this period can be watched with cheap passive 3D glasses. The 3D version of these films can't be watched without the glasses. I don't know if there are any games in passive 3D.
Active 3D requires a compatible TV with active LCD glasses and content processed for it. I think IMAX theaters were the first to use it.
Content processed for active 3D won't work with passive 3D glasses and vice versa.