Blurry uncrisp image 1080p

Hexacube

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
hey all,

when i connect my laptop to my tv and use hdmi as the display medium the picture becomes unclear and hard to read text, it also hurts your eyes when you stare at it long periods.

things i have tried are:
adjusting the resolution and over scanning. tried all possible resolutions & refresh rates with no avail.
setting the t.v to a 1:1 pixel mapping.

Although when i connect my ps3 to the tv and use 1080p, the image is really crisp and nice so whats gives?

tv: hisense (model number: HL24k16PL)
laptop gfx card: ati mobility radeon hd 5650

first things first: if you changed any settings on your television then change them back to the defaults. the only thing you need to change on the television is which hdmi input to use as the source and nothing else.

as far as your laptop is concerned,

anything that you changed.. set it back to defaults and unplug the television.

before you continue remember about the windows display modes for external monitors. one sets the external monitor as a copy of your desktop and the other sets it as an additional screen. if your laptop screen is not 1920x1080 then obviously stretching it to that resolution will result in it looking bad.

plug your tv in to the cable.

before you go trying to use windows multi monitor setup, does your laptop support the Fn key + F key command to automatically switch the display modes? i'm not quite sure which F key... look on your keyboard for the symbol or consult your manual. mine gives the option of export with screen off, export with screen on as well as a few other modes. everything should default to the correct settings but the display might overhang outside of your televisions borders slightly. i'm not sure why it does this...

if you do choose to use windows multi monitor set the tv (second monitor) to extend your desktop and not to copy it. drag any windows you want shown on this new screen. unless your laptop screen resolution matches the televisions you will have issues with copy desktop.

Hexacube

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

okay i have done that. no luck. i am using my hdtv as the primary display running at 1080p. still cannot get the images nice and crisp like that ps3 does? is there anything else that i can try or is it just that hdtv cannot be used as monitor?

i've had my laptop hooked up to my own television, a relatives television and a television across the earth when i was on vacation and they all acted similar.

in quite a few cases the edges were being cut off when in projector mode but when i set the tv as a second monitor instead this issue went away. remember that your televisions "zoom" setting or "wide" setting might be the cause of this. honestly for my purposes it did not much matter and the image was still what you would consider clear.

i use a television as the primary display for both my desktop pc and my ps3 and the image quality is exactly the same. what this means is that there isnt any physical problem causing the issue and it is caused by bad settings

you did not clarify that the tv is definitely 1080p capable.

remember that the ps3 offers options to increase sharpness and other display properties. are you sure that you did not fiddle with them at one point in time?

Hexacube

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
my tv is definately 1080p capable. i have tried using hdmi on 3 different hdtv's and they all gave the same unclear bad image. do you think its just bad hdmi output by my graphics card, or incorrect settings in windows 7 or ccc?

if i had to take a guess i would say the most likely culprits are:

-you're using the wrong displaymode for the second monitor and stretching a non 1080 image from your laptop to 1080 on the tv.
-you have overscan or underscan settings changed. or in some cases vsync has issues. i've heard of various issues with these but never experienced issues myself so i'm not much help there.
-you arent outputting video in the native resolution of the tv or the tv is post processing this image in some way. this could be wide/zoom modes or the built in sharpness commands.

there is always a chance it is a bad cable or bad hardware, however more often than not it is software. until all possible solutions have been looked into its really a hard call sometimes. pc issues are like a puzzle.