Setting up Audio for a non ARC HDMI LCD

prasunsarangi

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hi,

I have a LCD that does not have an ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI port. From my set-up box (HDMI enabled) when I connect to the tv, I am not getting the audio in my home theater system.

As an alternate, I have used a red-white cable to get the audio from TV to Home Theater. As I understand, I am missing the 5.1 audio channel effect from my HD setup box.

Do I have an alternate here? Can I make use of a HDMI splitter to make this work?

Any pointers would highly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Prasun

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Just use an optical cable between the TV and the Home theatre, assuming both have an optical connection ^^. This will send it in 5.1, but its unlikely its broadcast in 5.1, so i cant imagine it making loads of difference for your set top box.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Does your home theater have an HDMI input? If so, you want to pass the HDMI from your set top box, to the receiver, then to the TV. If you do not have HDMI on your receiver, and your television set does not have a digital audio output, you can connect your digital audio output on your set top box directly to your audio receiver.

prasunsarangi

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Thanks a lot for your response.

prasunsarangi

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Hi,

My TV does not have a optical / co-axial in / out. I have tried and sounds like I am getting 5.1effect (only from HD channels).

I had to use an intermediate converter (co-axial to optical) to input audio from setup box to home theatre.

setup box --> co-axial cable --> converter --> optical cable --> home theatre.

Thanks,
Prasun

Nckchrst

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Actually rrrubys solution will not pass on 5.1 surround sound from an external input to the TV through the TV audio output. This is due to bureacracy of content protection down mixing the external source when a surround decoder is not detected in the TV which effectively nullifies the promise of the hdmi connection and requires a separate audio connection from each source to the hts. (As you have done). The only other way is to use source-> Hts -> TV and use the hts as the switching device between sources ( which has low waf and we don't always want the hts on). This has annoyed me for years that tech companies have actually made getting the right sound HARDER with the advent of HDMI. Sad fact is that most people don't realize they're not getting the intended surround sound from their systems

sub7forhire

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

google works wonders