Solved! Pc hdmi display problem

haao13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hello,
I am trying to watch a movie from my computer to my tv via an HDMI cable but all that shows on my tv is my computer background and nothing else. Does anybody know how to change the settings back so i can see exactly what is on my computer screen?

Solution
if this is a laptop many times you have to press Fn + a Function key (like F2 for me) to get the external display to work. Many times if you press it once you get just the external display and if you press it twice you get both external and laptop display and if you press it a third time you get just laptop display again.

For windows vista if you go to control panel (choose classic display so you see all control panel items) and then go to display and then go to the screen resolution area you should be able to see what monitors your PC is seeing.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Right click on the desktop and select properties, then depending on the operating system that you are using select video settings, you should then see a box with a picture of two monitor screens one large and one small select by clicking on monitor1 icon. Done.

haao13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

unfortunately when i right click the desktop properties isnt an option. the only options are personalize, sort, new, refresh, etc. im using vista basic if that helps any. thanks for the help i appreciate it!

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The instructions I gave were for Windows XP but it is very similar for Vista, you should have stated what operating system you are using.
For Vista right click on the desktop click on Personalize, select display settings and then select the appropriate monitor.

Maverick4396

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
if this is a laptop many times you have to press Fn + a Function key (like F2 for me) to get the external display to work. Many times if you press it once you get just the external display and if you press it twice you get both external and laptop display and if you press it a third time you get just laptop display again.

For windows vista if you go to control panel (choose classic display so you see all control panel items) and then go to display and then go to the screen resolution area you should be able to see what monitors your PC is seeing.

Solution