Need help connecting laptop to tv through sound system

spacemonkeyj

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hi

I recently got a Lenovo Ideapad Y560. I want to connect it to my LG tv (lg 42lw4500). I have a HDMI port on my laptop, and obviously have to connect that to the tv. Problem is that I am now looking at buying a 5.1 surround sound system. Some of the systems have a HDMI output, and some of them have both an input, and an output. I also have a normal antenna cable going to the tv, and would like to have the sound for that play through the surround sound, and also have the laptop showing video, and playing sound through the surround sound. I want to watch movies, and play music etc. from the laptop. A lot of home theatre systems also have RCA ports. Obviously that is analog, and I'm not sure whether I can get surround sound, or if it will even work to connect the sound system to RCA, while the laptop is connected via HDMI.

What is the best way to connect these devices so that I have video, and surround sound on my laptop, and sound coming through the sound system from my normal tv?

Thank you for any help!

Probably the best set up would be:

1) Laptop ---> 5.1 Surround Sound System via HDMI and 5.1 Surround Sound System to HDTV via HDMI

2) Antenna cable --> HDTV via RF and HDTV to 5.1 Surround Sound System via Digital Audio/Headphone audio output.

-Wolf sends

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
There are three ways to connect this.

Best: If the theater you chose has HDMI inputs, simply connect your notebook to your theater, then your theater to the TV. This allows full 5.1 surround

Better: IF your theater does not have HDMI input. Connect your notebook directly to your television with HDMI. Your television set has Digital Audio output jacks. You connect one of these to the digital audio input on your theater system. 5.1 Surround.

Good: Connect your notebook to your television with HDMI. Connect your notebook to your theater with a 1/8 mini to RCA connection cable. This method only gived 2.0, or Matrix Surround (Pro Logic II if your theater supports it)

spacemonkeyj

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the replies. jcoultas98 you really helped me out here! Will now be able to look for the right ports when shopping for my home theatre system!

spacemonkeyj

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Just one more question jcoultas98. Just want to make sure with the better option you gave me. What will qualify as a digital output? Also, would it be possible to get a computer sound system, and when connecting to tv via HDMI, be able to play surround sound that way? Also not sure whether that will make the sound work when watching tv on antenna? The home theatres with HDMI inputs seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Wonder why this is. I actually don't even care to have a blue ray, or dvd drive on home theatre. I am going to use the laptop to play movies etc. AV receivers all seem to be expensive, and actually seems to be overkill for the needs I have. :-(

spacemonkeyj

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Tried to edit previous post, as I found something called a hdmi splitter. Can I maybe use this device to connect all these components to play through home theatre without hdmi input?

Thank you

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yes, better will still give you a 5.1 descrete surround sound. Any digital source you feed via HDMI, or antenna will output via the digital audio outputs. You could use a PC sound system, as long as it supports the same digital output type on your television set (Coaxial, or optical) These systems generally aren't set up to produce sounds in a larger space, so I'd recommend sticking with a dedicated theater system of some sort. HDMI is a very locked down input type. Unfortunately, you're not really going to be able to turn one input into another very simply (or cheap).

i found a very cheap, and surprisingly good HTIB with 4 HDMI inputs here:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TRDI

spacemonkeyj

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
That sound system is really nice, and I wish I could buy it. Problem is that I live in South Africa, and if I try to ship it here in any way, I get ripped off so much, that I end up paying R5800.00 for it, while if you convert what you pay for it plus shipping when living in America, I'd pay R1800.00 for it. Over here I can just pick up crappy home theatres for R1800.00. The wonders of living in a 3rd world country... :p

chino2958

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I have a Dell Latitude with Windows 7 in it. I've tried to connect the home theater thorugh the RCA min jack cable but have no sound in the theater, only from the TV, any help here? Thnx