My TV doesn't accept PC HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I have been unable to connect my PC to my Samsung TV using HDMI. As such, I have the following questions:
A. Is there some setting or configuration I am missing to get this to work?
B. If this is a hard limitation, what would be a minimal cost alternative to HDMI to get video from my PC to my TV?

Setup:
TV: Samsung Slimfit TV model TXS3082WHX/XAA. It supports 1080i/720p has 2 HDMI inputs (and other standard non-digital interfaces). It does not include a VGA connector.
PC: Windows 7, Core i5-750, Radeon HD 5770

Troubleshooting:
I connect my PC and TV together using an HDMI cable. Windows/Catalyst Control Center identify the TV as a connected display and correctly identified it as 1080i/720p (no 1080p support). However, the TV continues to display "No Signal or Weak Signal".

I have tied changing the resolution as well as attempting to use both HDMI inputs on my TV (to no avail). When I connect my Blu-Ray player to the TV it works just fine over HDMI.

When reading Samsung's FAQ, I found the following statement for 2005 and 2006 Models:
"Many of Samsung's 2005 and 2006 model TVs have a combined HDMI/DVI input jack. You cannot use the combined HDMI/DVI jack to connect your 2005 or 2006 model Samsung TV to your computer's DVI video output jack. If your Samsung TV has an HDMI only jack, you cannot use the HDMI jack to connect your Samsung TV to your computer's DVI video output jack. Samsung's 2005 and 2006 TVs do not support DVI to HDMI computer video connections."

When asked about this Samsung's Customer Support indicated: "We would like to inform you that Many of Samsung models built before 2007 (LN-S series, LN-R series, LT-P series, etc.) have a combined HDMI/DVI input jack. You cannot use this combined HDMI/DVI jack to connect your pre-2007 Samsung TV to your computer's DVI video output jack. Samsung TVs built before 2007 do not support DVI to HDMI computer video connections."

Based on this information it appears that there is some hard limitation that prevents my TV from accepting PC HDMI output, but still works with other Home Theatre devices. This doesn't make sense to me, but that is where I have ended up. If this is the case, what would be a minimal cost alternative to HDMI. I have read about HDMI to Component converters (example). Additionally, there are DVI to VGA plugs - but my PC doesn't support VGA so I would need to convert the VGA to something else, in which case I would need a further converter. I don't mind the resolution loss since my primary uses would be Hulu or other non-HD content.

Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Solution
The Samsung statements don't seem to apply to your situation if you are using the HDMI output of the card. Maybe there is an HDCP issue with that card? I would try a different card or another PC with HDMI and see if there is a compatability issue. You could also try another HDMI cable especially if it is a long one.
The Samsung statements don't seem to apply to your situation if you are using the HDMI output of the card. Maybe there is an HDCP issue with that card? I would try a different card or another PC with HDMI and see if there is a compatability issue. You could also try another HDMI cable especially if it is a long one.

Solution

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the video card being the issue. I failed to mention in my original post that when plugging the HDMI from my video card into my monitor using the same HDMI cable the connection works just fine. This makes me think that it is the TV since that is the only change. What I don't understand is why? Maybe later I will attempt to connect a different PC to the TV using HDMI (the other PC is not readily accessible and has an unvalidated HDMI interface).

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
So an interesting update...

I connected my booksize PC running XBMCbuntu to my TV over the same HDMI cable and it works. This is not likely a permanent solution as this PC is already in use elsewhere. I will attempt to run XBMCbuntu (via USB live stick) on my PC later and see if that works. If XBMCbuntu does work on my PC, I may consider dual booting or just using the live image. However, I want to keep Windows 7 so it would be nice to get this to work with my PC. Any suggestions as to why this would work on my booksize PC? I will report back after I figure out if XBMCbuntu works on my PC.

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Sorry for the flurry of posts, but I figured I would post when I found new information...

So I tested my PC using XBMCbuntu with my TV. It did not work. XBMCbuntu booted successfully. However, the HDMI interface did not connect to my TV. Any suggestions on why my PC does not connect to my TV? The only additional system information beyond my original post is that I am running Catalyst version 12.6 with Catalyst Control Center Version 2012.0611.1251.21046. I will search more on my video card and see what else I can find.

Any other recommendations?

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I attempted Safe mode, but it did not show up on my TV either. I have some other projects to work on so I am going to call this thread done. If nothing else I found out that my TV does accept HDMI from a PC (just not the PC I wanted). There is probably some configuration for my video card in order for this to work. Eventually when I get back around to this, I may post further on the Graphics Card forum since that is probably more appropriate for video card configuration.

Thanks to everyone who provided input. Best answer goes to americanaudiophile for at least making me recheck what I thought was obvious (does it work with another PC?).

Summary Answer:
Samsung Slimfit TV model TXS3082WHX/XAA is capable of receiving HDMI input from a PC (at least this PC).

mars75

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if you have found a problem/solution to this thing between youir tv/catalyst 12.6?

I am currently experiencing the exact same problem..- The only difference is my graphics card -(radeon hd6850) Thanks!

some_one_else

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

No, I haven't looked any further into this issue. I have been working on some other projects and haven't looked into this further.

Hydronium

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

If your still having this problem check if your HDMI cable is in the right slot there should be a normal HDMI slot and a driver HDMI port (They shouldn't be right next to each other), that is if your PC case is anything like mine. The driver HDMI port should be next to the VGA port.
Then right click on your desktop and click screen resolution, go to multiple displays and select "Extend these displays"

Feb 26, 2018
Older tvs opperate on different modes. Go to display settings and change the hertz from 60 to any other one and keep trying to you get tbe image most older tvs run on 50hz or 50i thats what worked for my case. Tvs older ones do not opp on 60hz thus is why it says not supported just change the hertz or mode. I can do a video on it if need to be. You will need another monitor to help do this or setup remote access and do it from your phone

Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is over 5 years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.