Why samsung 3DTV has flickers

frontpages

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
My friend came to visit me the other day and she was surprised how nice my LG LM9600 is and when she was watching 3D movie with me, she just yelled out "why the hell does my samsung 3D TV have flicker but yours doesn't?" I just laughed, but seriously why?

unkdfbased

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
It works by openly presenting the image intended for the left eye while blocking the right eye's view, then presenting the right-eye image while blocking the left eye, and repeating this so rapidly that the interruptions do not interfere with the perceived fusion of the two images into a single 3D image. Some techy explainations. That's why Samsung's 3D TV most likely will have flickers.

sakun

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
It flickers because it uses active 3D.. I heard people saying it's not that noticeable but I guess it is because I feel it too. I left Samsung's TVs and I don't think I need to go back because other brands like LG, Panasonic and maybe Sony's doing a much better job.

daveeed12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

The main difference are the glasses. Yours, the LG 3D tv, uses glasses that are similar to sunglasses. On the other hand, your friend's, the Samsung 3D tv, need glasses that run on battery. When the battery is low, the flickering becomes more obvious because it slows down.

yang0409

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
They are right when they said that Samsung flickers because of its active 3d technology. Some people can bear with it but passive 3d is more suitable for me. I can't help but be distracted with the flickering. I'm not sure whether your friend feels the same way but when I tried the active glasses before, I felt so restrained. While I was trying the different tvs in the shop, I felt tired so I stretched my neck sideways and then the active glasses went dark. I knew that time, active 3d wasn't for me.

trepxe

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012

Samsungs as well as all other active shutters flicker. They don't simply turn off. The shutter speed gets slower and slower until they die out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjHKsc220mo Check out the early part where the person puts his glasses in front of the screen.

daveeed12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

The active glasses keep running until the battery dies out, they don’t just shut off. Which means with low battery, the shutter speed will get slower and slower until, eventually, it doesn’t work.

ryantlrr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
When David Katzmaier wrote an article on CNET saying " passive 3D TVs had superior image quality to their active counterparts.¨ I was personally surprised by the finding, since I used to hear the opposite from everyone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20102018-1/study-finds-passive-3d-tvs-superior-to-active/

This was one of the factors I considered when I was choosing what 3D TV to buy. Now I also have an LG 3D. I think LM7600.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You can get flickers because of the software that trys to smooth out the slower video. This is more apparent when the cycles are above 60 hrz. Standard video is like 30 frames per second. So sometimes the smoothing out of the video adds frames and it causes trouble like this. When playing standared video you may need some custom settings to get better results.

JohnMack

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Flicker arises due to active 3d technology their 3d glasses follow the shutter mechanism, whereas, LG doesn’t. LG cinema 3d is passive so their glasses don’t need charging like active glasses. That’s why you don’t have flickers in your LM9600.

cm3d

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Active vs Passive 3D - One should distinguish between the 3D technologies, rather than the brand names such as LG and Sony.

Perhaps you didn't realize that LG also makes an Active 60" 3D TV, and I have one. Sony also makes a passive 3D TV option. The choices between active & passive 3d is a personal choice.

They each have advantages and disadvantages. For example, passive displays reduce the overall resolution of the image. People argue that combined with multiple views (left/right) it is equivalent, but that is FAR from the case. Try reading small text or looking at fine lines with passive 3D.. you will see jagged edges that are typically reserved for lower resolutions. Worse yet, there is no anti-aliasing to smooth out the edges, as in 3D graphical environments. It's almost like looking through a screen window. The new 4K HD standard will produce fantastic new passive 3D TV's and that's what you want if you can hold out for it.

Active 3D reserves full resolution but does flicker at lower speeds. 120Hz refresh rates and above are required to produce a 60Hz image for each eye to reduce the flicker effect. The displays are getting better and faster, so this will be resolved in time. Most active 3D monitors (often coupled with Nvidia 3D vision) already eliminate visible flicker.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Chris