Inspiron 1525 lcd problems

sanjo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Hello,
I have a DELL 1525 laptop and the LCD started to go dim, almost completely black this morning.

I was able to shut the lid and open it again and the screen would be bright again but it only lasts for a few mins.

Is there a way to tell if I need a new LCD or if it is something else? I have heard the inverter can go bad on these laptops too - the replacement screens are cheap enough but i dont want to waste $$$ on it if it is something else.

Thanks!

sanjo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

I do apologize if this has been brought up before, I searched the best I could and didnt find anything related to the specific question about the LCD.

G

Sounds like the illumination for the screen -- you can check that by shining a torch on the screen -- if you can see something on the screen it's the fluorescent backlight or its power circuit.

G

It's really a job for a repair guy, just dismantling a laptop is an adventure if you haven't done that model before.

I hesitate to unless I am cannibalising two machines -- so wrecking the case of the donor machine doesn't matter.

sanjo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ugh - well I am pretty tech savy when it comes to tinkering. There is a little local store I could take it too but I dont think I woul dhave aproblem with a LCD replement. I had to do a mobo swap in my DV9000 last year :)

One thing I have noticed is.... When it goes dim I can close and open the lid and the screen comes back for a few mins. Does that solve anything in the way of narrowing it down? Meaning backlight,inverter or circuit?

sanjo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I found a certified DELL 1525 inverter for $8 so I'm going that route first, rather then spend $100 on the LCD (which I think is fine) if not, it's only $8 and if it is, I saved myself $100.

G

sanjo wrote: "When it goes dim I can close and open the lid and the screen comes back for a few mins. Does that solve anything in the way of narrowing it down? Meaning backlight,inverter or circuit?"

What's probably happening is closing the lid switches off power to the screen's lighting (to stop it overheating in normal use). When you open it. power is restored and your screen lights up until the faulty component (possibly a capacitor) is affected.