Which of these Home theater systems is the loudest?

emrosmule

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
The Onkyo with only 660watts of power for around $300

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/502571958/onkyo-hts3400

or the Sony Bravia with 1000 watts of the power for around $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DAV-HDX267W-Theater-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B000OG88CW/ref=sr_1_13?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1312143104&sr=1-13

or this Samsung with 1000 watts for around $350.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882676198

I'm looking for the best sound and the most future-proof system on a Budget of $350

Thanks.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
loudness requires electricity from the amplifier and magnets that are strong.
if either one doesnt exist, the loudness wont exist.

i highly doubt any of those systems output 1,000 watts at an RMS level.
the situation would be bad for your ear's health.
but
that doesnt stop the stupid movie producers that do the audio.
the loud peaks are strong enough to use up 1,000 watts.
although, that 1,000 watts might be what is used to throw the cone outwards and leave it there.
do that for 7 speakers at the same time and you could get up to 2,000 watts for a quick burst.

some of those watts might be going to the subwoofer and included in the total watts for the system.
subwoofers can eat up a lot of peak watts to throw the cone out really fast and leave it there.
some more watts can be eaten up if the cone gets thrown out and sucked back in as the capacitors go empty (or do they hold?).

those numbers are there for a reason.
and it only takes common sense to realize there is not going to be 1,000 watts of midrange and treble screaming at you.
your children could go deaf if they play around with the stereo at loud volumes when you or the babysitter isnt around (or fell asleep)
basically that boils down to the company getting sued for providing something dangerous without a warning shoved up in their face.

most of the watts is actually current that is used for the dolby and dts surround sound formats.
you know a speaker moves in and out.
but if you zoom in with a video camera and watch the cone move in and out.. when it rests in the exact middle.. that is where all the electricity is going.
it controls the speaker during its travel.
more amperage = more realistic audio.
the electricity doesnt slap the speaker cone forwards and backwards.
the electricity grabs the speaker and holds onto it for the whole time.
so yea.. 1,000 watts doesnt mean it is going to be loud.. but it should sound good if the speakers are worth anything.

the option is..
the electricity grabs onto the speaker and holds it.
or
those obnoxious loud parts in a movie send lots of watts to the speakers and the speakers simply suck up the extra voltage after the volume gets higher.

so yea..
you are either using it or wasting it.. or you will blow some speakers that doesnt have a very high peak rating.

how many cheap speakers have you seen with a 300 watt RMS value .. and a 1,500 watt peak rating?
these types of speakers will eat up all of the extra watts from the stupid movie audio peaks.

most people into car audio already know.. most speakers say 300 watts RMS and 600 watts peak.
but some of them say 300 watts RMS and 1,500 watts peak.

**edit**

cant guarantee anything future-proof.
but
the absolute best advice you could get about the future is..
make certain the receiver will do 24-bit 192khz.
the new dolby and dts surround sound formats do those bit-depths and sample rates.
those two values are rather new.. and they should be around for a while.
but
they are expected to go up again.
it could be 'super audio disc' format.. or a new type of dvd/blu-ray upgrade.

if you can get 24-bit 192khz from all of your speakers.. i wouldnt worry about it for the next 10 years.
some of us might hope for 32-bit audio though.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Well first and foremost, lets get something clear, none of those system can output anywhere near 1000watts...not even close. However out of those systems, I'd take the Onkyo, I think they make better receivers than sony and samsung by far. Even though the onkyo is 660watts, I'm willing to bet its more powerful than the samsung and sony at lower frequencies which is what matters. However I could be wrong, my vote goes to the onkyo.

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i am not sure if would go with any of these .

these box systems seem to be generous some how with how they rate there power i think ,don't get me wrong these are better than a lot of things .

an alarm clock speaker sounds loud. but it isn't , and it doesn't sound good , v-6 engines with a rusted out muffler are loud , but they don't sound nice to your ears like a v-8 engine does . the point i am trying to make is maybe loud is less important then a clean sounding system with a flat audio response and a full rich sound . often times things only trick people into thinking loud because the sounds are distorted .

so back to your question , which one is loudest , well i am not sure if anyone can answer that for you without having owned or experienced all 3 . i would look for a store that has all 3 on demo and go from there . the sony may be your best bang for the buck being the cheapest , personally the sony would be my last pick .the power numbers aren't very important here i don't think because they are all powering small satellites and have subwoofers .

for a box systems i am told lg is the way to go , they sound ok and produce a fairly big sound . the thing i don't like about the couple lg box systems i seen is that the subwoofer's amp is in the main unit so the lg sub isn't good for anyhting but the lg system and adding a different sub would also be complicated .
hope this helps ,let your ears tell you which one

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the sony doesnt support the new dolby digital and dts formats.. you dont want it if you are buying today.

the samsung looks good to the eyes..
but the small plastic design might die from heat.
most importantly,
the speakers dont have tweeters.. and that is a big no-no for most speakers.
yes.. some speakers can do midrange and treble at the same time.
if those do.. my apologies, i havent heard them.
but
i always avoid the single speaker options and go for the seperate midrange and tweeter, because i will always find a way to bring that speaker up to its limit.

i think the samsung amplifier might work just fine like it should.. as long as you use the speakers that came with the amplifier.
if the amp does last.. it isnt magic, but it is rare.
most amps have big heatsinks to keep things cool.. and there doesnt appear to be any room for such heatsinks.

wow....
the onkyo says those speakers dont have a tweeter too.
weird.
it would be a drag race between amplifiers and speakers.
if i had to guess.. i would think maybe the samsung speakers are more impressive than the onkyo or sony speakers.
but small and cute doesnt work very hard.. they simple sit there and look pretty while doing the midrange and treble at the same time.

very tough call without hearing 'em.
some might say tough = hard.
but
other people would say tough = we refuse to answer.

maybe you have to switch some of the speakers with different amplifiers to get it perfect.
or
mix all three together.

bobby_24

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

i had the samsung 1200 watt or something like that it was a 5.1 surround sound with blu ray 1080p hd output and it was way louder and clearer then i ever expected coming out of those little speakers i was more than impressed and this is coming from a person who had the pro studio stereo system with 4 15 inch woofers and i think the samsung was louder and clearer just not as much bass obviously..

If you want the loudest, you want PA speakers, prosound. Not home stereo.

I think you are quoting the power supply wattage, not the speaker wattage.

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I feel it's better TS give us an idea of how big an area we are talking here but i think
a. Loud does not equate to "best sound"
b. "Future proof" and tight budget i'd rather go with a DTS-HD/Dolby True HD HDMI AVR and 2.1 1st and not settle for inferior HTIB solutions :p

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I second / third / fourth, whatever level we're on. Start with a good DD True HD, DTS-HD receiver and 2.1. You'll be way happier in the end. HTIB systems are decent enough for a small bedroom, or somewhere that is just very space constrained. A separates system will almost always sound better.

themenphis

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

In fact.

And remember that without knowing the sensitivity of a speaker you can't in anyway determinate its loudness.

A part this, manufacturers always lie on real wattage, and even assuming that commercial home speakers have all nearly 86dB of average sensitivity, the results (calculated on the paper) wouldn't reflect the truth.