Solved! How to the ac adapter power cord of my d600 Latitude???

mimie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Ok. the ac adapter green light is on when plugged it. But is not charging the laptop battery when connected to it. I think is a loose wire inside the power cord. Any idea or tutorial on how to fix it?

Solution
If you wiggle the cable and it switches between connected and disconnected, then, yes, a wire is loose or broken. You're going to have to order a new PSU or fix the one you've got, if you have the skills.

You just need to find the location of the break, cut the cable before the break, and then solder on a new connector which you can get at Radio Shack, or another electronic component dealer.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
You have a light indicating that your laptop is plugged in whenever it is, but think that the adapter is bad? I would try removing the battery and then starting the laptop up on just the adapter to see if the adapter is able to source enough current to run the computer. Then post the results of this.

mimie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Hi elel. Thanks for your reply, but I did that all ready, and is not working.

The green light is in the ac adapter when plugged to the wall connection. Now, the laptop battery is dead since last night. And when I connect the ac adapter to the laptop, it does not indicates that is charging the battery.

I think is the power cord, because in order to keep the lap top on, I had to play with the cable for the last couple days.

This is why I think might be a loose wire in the power cord.

frozenlead

Distinguished
If you wiggle the cable and it switches between connected and disconnected, then, yes, a wire is loose or broken. You're going to have to order a new PSU or fix the one you've got, if you have the skills.

You just need to find the location of the break, cut the cable before the break, and then solder on a new connector which you can get at Radio Shack, or another electronic component dealer.

Solution

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I think you're right. This generally happens from bending or yanking on the cord. Was there one particular section where you had to play with it to get it to work? If so, you have found your break. Take a sharp knife (a box knife or exacto would work fine) and carefully cut away the insulation at that area (with the unit unplugged, of course). At this point it doesn't much matter whether you cut through the cable again, but you need to know when you have found the break so you actually fix the problem. Once the break has been located (the frayed ends of the cable will probably be somewhat burnt and melted from sparking while you were playing with it) you need to cut the cable in half at the break, strip off the outer insulation (cables of this type generally have a black layer of insulation over two separate wires with their own colored insulation) and strip a half inch of each of the wires. Actually, there isn't a set amount that you have to remove, just enough that you can twist the ends securely together. Once you have them stripped, make sure that you have at least as much insulated wire sticking out of the main insulation as stripped wire, because you will need to get tape between the wires. Now take each half of your cable and bend the two wires sticking out of it 90 degrees in opposite directions. Take the strands of copper on the end of each wire, smooth them and twist them lightly to keep them together. Next, lay the two halves of the cable and lay them end to end with wires of the same color next to each other. Twist the exposed ends of each wire together, making sure to keep SAME COLORS TOGETHER, and, if you have an iron or gun, solder the joints. If you don't, make sure that they are tight enough that they won't come apart, but not so tight that they are deformed or strained. Fold them back against the insulated wires, pull the wires so they are parallel (and maybe a little tug to make sure they don't come apart) and wrap electrical tape around each individually. Make sure that the bare parts can NEVER touch. Now tape the two wires together and test before plugging into your computer. A note about applying electrical tape: it will go on smoother if you stretch it some before using it, and it will pull itself tight also. If you couldn't solder the joints, I would arrange the cable in such a way that it cannot get yanked; maybe make a loop with the joint in the middle and tape it together.

mimie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hi there. Thanks for your help guys. But I let the tv repair shop in front of my house fix the ac adapter, and after that is still not charging the battery at all. He did not checked the computer. But when he saw that was not charging, he told me that the actual problem is with the computer..????So, why he fixed the ac adapter then???? Well, I still think is the adapter. Because the battery die & the computer turned off while I was moving the end of the cable in order to charge the laptop battery.

Well, the battery has no charge at all right now, but when I press the battery charge indicator, it is telling me that the battery still have an 80 % of capacity to charge. So basically, the battery is on decent condition. So, I think is not the battery.

I will go to a dell store here tomorrow to see if they can try a charger. And see if this work.

Any ideas why is not charging???