Standard Computer Reformatting Gone Terribly Wrong

Zramsay

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Wow, so... today I decided to reformat my laptop and get a wonderful fresh start. Just a routine reformat (however, this is the first time I reformatted this laptop), I insert the disk and boot from CD. I eventually get to the screen where I can select what I want to be reformatted out of the three options (can't remember the name, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean). I pick the one I want and within a few seconds I get a humongous ERROR sprawled across my laptop screen with "Cannot load imagex 0 from src WIM file"... so I say, "that sucks, but I'll just take the disk out and reboot... I can see whats up on the interwebs". However, I was very wrong... because now when I try to start my computer I get "Bootmgr is missing". Heres the kicker, the only way I know how to repair "Bootmgr" error is through system recovery.

Now you should see my dilemma... I couldn't reformat because of the menacing ERROR, and now I can't get back on my laptop because ERROR is holding Bootmgr hostage.

The only thing I can do is enter BIOS and I don't believe that can fix anything... I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

G

Place the CD back in the drive and boot from the cd and retry formatting and installing, select quick format ntfs this time.

PS what windows CD are you using?

Zramsay

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I don't believe that is an option... the only options I have are:

a. recover windows to first partition only
b. recover windows to entire hd
c. recover windows to entire hd with 2 partition

no matter what option I select I get that error... I'm using an ASUS Recovery CD

eve0001

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Hey, Zramsay did you fix your system? I have the same problem. Need some advice.