M17x Video Card Upgrade

Beleynn

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I am planning to purchase an Alienware M17x - one of the newer models with a Core i7 processor. How difficult would it be to open the system up and upgrade the video card?

Solution
Not very. The problem is getting a card upgrade it with. The ones Dell will sell you will be at least $500, and there's about nowhere else to get them. You should not plan on upgrading the GPU of a notebook. Simply get the best GPU you can afford, and run it for as long as you see fit. If you've the money and you find a part for an upgrade, you can try it - but, I think you'll find, that, at that point, it's really not worth it.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Not very. The problem is getting a card upgrade it with. The ones Dell will sell you will be at least $500, and there's about nowhere else to get them. You should not plan on upgrading the GPU of a notebook. Simply get the best GPU you can afford, and run it for as long as you see fit. If you've the money and you find a part for an upgrade, you can try it - but, I think you'll find, that, at that point, it's really not worth it.

Solution

Beleynn

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Thank you for the quick response.

The current i7 models only offer ATI cards, and I would prefer one of the nVidia cards offered on the Core 2 models. I guess I'll just have to wait until the next refresh.