Sceptre 32" LCD just went black!

SJLO-LA

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I just bought this TV in January and only used it with normal/average use. I was playing an Xbox 360 game this afternoon with no issues whatsoever. I turned it off about 5pm and just tried to turn it back on at 8:30pm, same night.

TV turned on, per usual, made a weird low screechy sound, looked to be booting up like it normally would, but the screen never fully turned on. There were faint glimpses of an image that has since faded away. The audio, however, is loud and clear.

I've seen TV's die before and it appears that the screen/tube/bulb just burned out. Please tell me I'm wrong. Any help or ideas would be appreciated seeing as my warranty just conveniently ran out this month. Thanks, SL

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Does anything show up on the screen at all (if you change inputs for example). Is the screen a black signal, or does it look like there is no power going to the screen (as if it were off). You're using HDMI?

A few things you can try. Unplug and re-plug every single connection (sounds silly, but it has fixed many an issue.)

Try out a different connection (if you're on HDMI try component cables, or even just the oldschool RCA cables (yellow video cable) and see if anything happens.

If not unplug overnight and try again in the morning.

If not you might just have to call the company and see if the cost to repair is worth it.

SJLO-LA

Honorable
May 28, 2012
There's nothing on the screen at all. At first it seemed like there wasn't a signal so i did unplug/replug all the input.

I switched between HDMI and component a few times. Haven't tried the RCA's yet, I'll find something to plug in.

I left it unplugged from the wall for about an hour, replugged it to the same effect. I will leave it overnight though, not much of a choice.

The thing I noticed is now it makes no sound when it "boots" up. Even when it was fresh out of the box it would always make a "CD spinning" sound when the logo appeared, before the actual picture. Now it's silent and no signs of visual life.

SJLO-LA

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Yeah, it's looking more and more like that's the issue. Now I get the problem of finding a good/cheap repair guy or even if fixing a $200 TV is worth the trouble. Thanks for your time though.

mrgitsy

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have the same tv if your red power light turns green but the picture is black it is your power supply. You can buy online and install in about 15 minutes. If it is worth the money can't remember what I paid but it lasts for about 2 years on average.

Arezkallah

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

We just had the same issue with the same tv. any luck fixing yours?

SJLO-LA

Honorable
May 28, 2012

I had to send it back to the manufacturer twice, but I think they kind of felt bad so I didn't pay anything for the fix or the shipping cost. I got lucky.

smhale

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Omg same exact t.v. and same exact problem. Im scared to send it back to the manufacturer because that is a big risk on it getting lost or damaged in the shipping process. I also dont know how long it will be before i get it back.

Ispslda

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
Was gifted 50" in July 2014 and this morning my TV (which was on thru the night ), went black when I changed the station.The sound works but no visual. The light is blue. Ugh!

Was anyone successful finding the cause and solution?

SJLO-LA

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I read a bunch of different things, but most common problem was fuses I think. My same Sceptre 32in that I wrote about over 2 years ago is working still since the 3rd fix by the manufacturer, but believe it or not IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!

What I do is, when it goes on with sound and no picture... Turn it off, Wait a Second, Turn it back on. If it happens again, turn it off and on again. After two or three times my TV goes to Sceptre splash screen and turns on normally and stays on! Don't know how or why, but it works