Xp perpetual reboot

Sergan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I am trying to repair my sister laptop Asus x51rl.The laptop rebooted 2 min after logging in and the dvd drive didn't work. I noticed that it was full of viruses after checking processes in task manager. I tried to install xp from a usb stick but it showed a blue error screen when it tried to start windows. I succesfully installed and booted Ubuntu 9.10 trying to see if it was a hardware problem. Tried to install xp again, no luck. I checked memory with memtest86+ all ok, updated BIOS from 203 to 204, the latest for this laptop, and succesfully installed xp by putting the harddisk in my computer but when i put it back it show the "blue death screen" and reboots immediatly after the win logo appears.I forgot to mention that I ran CHKDSK with the hardrive on my computer and all I got to see was " 4 KB in bad sectors". Can anyone help? I don't know what to do.

It is acting like there is something amiss with the hardware. It could be that the memory is infected with a virus yet, even though hardware wise it may be ok. Try taking out a stick at a time and see if it boots that way (perhaps one of the sticks isn't infected).

frozenlead

Distinguished
Memory cannot be infected with a virus. RAM requires power to retain it's data, and this unit has been shut off.

Did you run a hard disk diagnostic on the machine?

When you re-installed XP on the notebook, did it bluescreen immediately on the first start up? Did you install all of the notebook's drivers?

Sergan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I installed XP with the hard disk in my computer, did not install any drivers and yes it bluescreened immediately after the Win XP logo. I think i will take it today to a professional. I will let you know what was the problem.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Does the laptop have a SATA hard drive?

If it does, XP does not have SATA drivers, Ubuntu 9.10, Vista, and Windows 7 do. That is whay it works with Ubuntu, but not with XP.

it is blue screening because it can't reach the hard drive.

Can you slipstream the SATA driver into the iso? (or can you attach an external floppy to the laptop and install the driver from there during the XP install)? Can you set the hard drive to IDE mode in the BIOS?

Sergan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Yes the laptop has a sata hard drive. I can´t set the hard drive to ide mode in bios and I already took it to a IT service. I wish a have waited a little longer and tried to slipstream the sata driver into the iso, it would have saved me some money. I will return with a post about the problem in a few days, after they have hopefully fixed it. Thanks for the support but I really could not wait any longer