LG 32LD550 good as pc monitor?

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
currently I am not facing any any pixalation and the texts are cristal clear, I have been thinking of getting a plasma full HDTV, but as you all know plasma base size is 42, is worth the uprgade or should I just stick with this one, we are already buying a new HDTV, so I might as well take the chance and place this one somewhere else and get a new one. I have been thinking about going computer monitor but they don`t sell any here and I have my setup so that there is a kinda of a coffee table for the mouse and keyboard and the tv sits about 1.5 meters away from, cuz I use my pc for everything from extreme pc gaming to watching series. currently the lag time is unnoticable.

thank you for the reply.

Solution
the general concensus seems to be that "pc mode" on 120 or 240hz televisions isnt standard and on some models works without lag and on other models fails to work as expected. this is why i normally suggest 60hz models. if yours works perfect as is and is 1080p i dont see any reason to "upgrade".

normally i dont suggest plasma due to the bad reputation they had a few years back. repair costs were excessive. i'm not sure if things changed. the only impressive thing about them is the contrast but its not worthwhile in my opinion.
the general concensus seems to be that "pc mode" on 120 or 240hz televisions isnt standard and on some models works without lag and on other models fails to work as expected. this is why i normally suggest 60hz models. if yours works perfect as is and is 1080p i dont see any reason to "upgrade".

normally i dont suggest plasma due to the bad reputation they had a few years back. repair costs were excessive. i'm not sure if things changed. the only impressive thing about them is the contrast but its not worthwhile in my opinion.

Solution

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

hello.
thank you for your reply. well I must tell you that I had the misconception of 120hz when I bought it after I realized that it doesn`t accept true 120hz I simply disabled this feature completelly, it doesn`t introduce much of a lag when gaming but try that and you will end up having a avery weird movments in games, since the screen adds frames based on your gamplay and it cannot anticipate your movment, so you get the effect of fastward gaming, but regardless when I disable all the addons with the screen I do not get any lags, in fact after getting asus ROG motherboard the lag completelly disapeared.

currently what we have in the market that cought my eye is samsung 40in 5003 and another samsung plasma but am not sure.

tell me what you think it as an upgrade, and would it be much of a difference, thank you. :)

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
your the only one who answered to this thread so am picking you as a best answer, I have also checked my TV model online for reviews and rating, and it gets very high rating, apparently it has a advanced IPS panel, this translates into a great response time and better picture overall, so I am pretty satisfied with it, the gaming experience on this monitor has been really good, so if am going to upgrade maybe after 6 months for more, I will be getting a 1440p dell, hp or upcoming asus monitor. even then I don`t think I will sell it :)

in 60hz mode (120hz disabled) you should not get any lag or strange activity. this means that the game mode (or 60hz mode) is working correctly.

the 2560x1440 (or 2560x1600) monitors do offer quite a bit of screen real estate and would be sharper than a television (1080p) at the same size. however if you compare them directly to more common sized monitors (ie 20-22 inch) the ppi is actually lower than using two side by side monitors.

for the price you might even be able to get three e-ips panels (or two high quality ips panels). this brings up the question of if it is a worthwhile investment. some may think so, some may think not. this depends on your needs and wants.

remember that a 2560x display requires a more powerfull system to play games and will require you to upgrade your parts more frequently to maintain maximum settings. if you want an idea of performance differences see the gpu charts and look at a GPU (preferably yours) and compare 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 (or 1600). notice the huge drop off in frames.