Solved! I would love some laptop suggestions, please!

gutterballjen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
It's been such a long time since I've looked for a new computer, so I apologize in advance if I don't know all of the specs/terms.

1_What is your budget? I would like to spend no more than $800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I need it to fit inside my backpack so probably no bigger than 15.6", but no smaller than 12" I absolutely do not want a netbook.

3_What screen resolution do you want? whatever's good for HD quality?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I want it to be a little of both. I'm in college so I need portability, but I still want power.

5_How much battery life do you need? 4 hours and up?

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? The only game I play is The Sims 3 (with the expansion packs), which I would like to play with the graphics settings pretty high.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Basic photo editing and watching movies would be nice.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? I want at least 300 GB of hard drive space.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Best Buy and Frys are places that have warranties that I really like, so if possible, I would like to buy from there. However, if you know of any good sites that offer great warranties please let me know!

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? I want to keep it for 3 years if possible.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?I need a DVD drive for The Sims 3, but it would also be nice to have a CD/DVD burner too. I can buy an external if necessary.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm currently using a Toshiba Qosmio, and I really like the way it's performed so if possible, I would like to have another Toshiba. Another brand I would look into is Sony. I say that because I see a lot of these at school, I don't know anything about their performance though. I might consider a Dell because I really like the warranties that they offer direct from the site. My fiance tells me to stay away from HP, and judging from what I've read on this board, I'm guessing he's right. Other than that, i'm pretty open. You guys know more about this stuff than I do!

13_What country do you live in? United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. If possible, I would absolutely love an SD card reader built in. The Qosmio I'm using now has one and it's been so helpful! Again, if need be, I can buy a USB card reader no problem.

Oh, and most of the time I use my computer for basic word processing (MS Office) and surfing the web. However, as noted above I do play The Sims 3 and basic photo editing too. I hope that helps!

Thank you all in advance for your help! I really appreciate it!

geofelt

Distinguished
Lenovo makes good laptops. They took over the IBM business. For a great deal, monitor the Lenovo outlet store.
You can filter for dedicated graphics which will help your gaming at the expense of battery time.
I recently bought a reconditioned G450 and can not tell it from new. The G450 is 14", the G550 is 15". Be warned, though, that their outlet sells only online, and their communication is abysmal, and apparently only by e-mail. Otherwise, do some research on the main Lenovo web site.