NTSC CRT-HD television, moving to Europe

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I know that by the title of my post, most people are already thinking ditch it, but please hear me out, I need expert advice...

I have a Samsung TXT3092WHX CRT HDTV that my wife and I absolutely love. We are moving to France this summer. We would love to be able to take it with us even though it's NTSC. For professional reasons as well related to my work, I would prefer to not lose it. Keep in mind... we don't really watch TV. All we really watch is downloaded media and discs. So, yes, I am aware that our cable box there won't communicate with the TV inputs.

Questions:
- First and foremost: What will be the effect of running the TV on a transformer or step-down converter to comply with the 220V and 50Hz in France? Heating up? Not possible with a television for extended viewing? Other concerns?
- If a step-down converter CAN be used safely, what specs do I need to look out for in buying one?
- Can't I get an HD NTSC/PAL video converter for a cable box to work on my TV?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. I'm not super well versed in this area so any advice would be most appreciated. Help me save our TV!! :(

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011