Solved! HP Compaq nc8430 - CPU Upgrade

jcdillon28

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I have had this HP Compaq nc8430 for about 2 years. Currently it has a Intel Core Duo T2400 CPU. I recently bought an Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7600 CPU for it.

When i install the Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7600 the laptop will not boot. When I turn it on after the install I can hear the fan running. I can see the power light on both the main button and in the front. The screen stays black it never even loads the boot screen. The light below the disk icon turns solid yellow.

When i put the Intel Core Duo T2400 back in it boots and runs fine.

I was wondering if there is some switch or some trick to getting the processor to work.

Some additional information
Updated to most current BIOS ver F.16

I got this information from a search of the product number on each of the CPU's
Intel Core Duo T2400 - http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL8VQ.html
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7600 - http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL9SD.html

This is the store and product I purchased
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7600 - https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...uo-Mobile-Processor-T7600-2-33GHz-4MB-CPU-OEM

Solution
The HP spec page you listed includes your CPU and only one PSU, so I doubt power is your issue. 90W is larger than average.

You can use Everest to investigate the wear level on your battery, if you want to go that route. Just google it.

Try reversing or only using one memory module with your new CPU. Is there any switch or jumper on your board to clear the CMOS? They're on a few notebook models. How about a BIOS battery you can pull to clear the CMOS?

Are you sure the heatsink makes proper contact with your new CPU?

jcdillon28

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
buwish - Do you know where i might find a better power supply. I thought about it and you are probably correct. I didn't think about the extra juice, but i know i have had troubles getting the battery to recharge. I figured it was just a bad battery, but now i am curious if the power supply is bad.

frozenlead - As far as i can tell it is supposed to. At least that is what every thing i have read has said.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12442_na/12442_na.html

that is the specs on the system. I have read in a few different forums and web posts where people have upgraded these laptops to that processor.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The HP spec page you listed includes your CPU and only one PSU, so I doubt power is your issue. 90W is larger than average.

You can use Everest to investigate the wear level on your battery, if you want to go that route. Just google it.

Try reversing or only using one memory module with your new CPU. Is there any switch or jumper on your board to clear the CMOS? They're on a few notebook models. How about a BIOS battery you can pull to clear the CMOS?

Are you sure the heatsink makes proper contact with your new CPU?

Solution

jcdillon28

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
From what i have been told there is no jumper or switch, but i do know where the battery is located. I will trying pulling it out and putting it back in.

As far as i can tell the heatsink is installing normally with the new cpu in socket.

BTW Frozenlead - Thank you for the program advice. I am looking in Everst andit doesn't say much about the battery, but it is saying my MoBo is running at 100 degrees F and CPU is at 130 degrees F. Is that to hot? Seems really hot to me.

jcdillon28

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Does any one know if HP Protect Tools might be interfering with the CPU install. I ordered another CPU form a different company and i get the same results. I also removed the internal battery to see if that cleared the CMOS don't know if it did but the CPU(s) still do not work.

I don't really know what protect tools is but according to HP site it protects the BIOS and hardware.

A link to Protect tools description
http://h20219.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/292230-0-0-225-121.html

frozenlead

Distinguished
For future reference, say temps in degrees Celsius...it's pretty much the standard of the industry, and I almost flipped with I saw 130, thinking it was 130 C. 130 F~=55C, which is okay.

Everest on my machine tells me my battery wear level, current capacity, maximum current capacity...it's really quite informative.

I don't know anything about protect tools - I would contact HP to see if it's messing with you.

When you take out the internal battery, you have to unplug the machine and let the capacitors drain for several hours (depending on model): did you do so?

Frankly, I'm running out of ideas. It's rare, but perhaps you got a dud CPU?

jcdillon28

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
ok i will remove the battery overnight and see if clears in the AM. I can maybe understand one dud CPU but two. That is just odd to me.

I was doing some more rooting around and saw Intel made two different models of the T7600 a SL9SD (Socket M) and SL9SJ (socket 479) would this have any effect on this.

I noticed one said socket M and the other was socket 479 so i looked at my Motherboard and it says it holds socket mPGA 478MT. So i googled that with the T7600 and got both types in the search. Which one would be the right one?