Will a Sony BDP-S590 play FULL 1080/24p,over a optical hook up

Victor C

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
I have a Sony 46BX420 TV,and a Sony DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System. Will a Sony BDP-S590 Bd, play FULL 1080/24p video signal,over a Optical Hook up ? And will I get at least 5.1 surround? With just the Optical/Coaxail hooked up,like the directions say to do for the Bd Player? If not,would running HDMI to the TV,and also running the Optical/Coaxail,to the reciver work any better? Is there any thing in the Bd Setting"s,that I should do? If I can not get the full affect the Blu-ray Player-Picture/+ 5.1 sound at least. Why evan Buy a Blu-ray to begin with??? Thank's Vincent,,,

Solution
Both HDMI, and Optical/Coax are capable of supplying 5.1/7.1 audio(DD/DTS). In terms of audio quality, even though you are dealing with a higher resolution signal, i'm not really sure a HTIB would be capable of delivering the resolution difference (HD/MASTER DD/DTS). HDMI to the TV, and an optical / coax signal to the HTIB should be sufficient.
The optical connection is for audio only so that will connect to the HTiB. You will need to connect the HDMI from the Bluray into the TV since the HTiB does not have HDMI inputs. You will not be able to get the superior audio that Bluray has over DVD since that requires HDMI connection to the audio system.

as aa stated... if your htib does not have hdmi input you will need to use the optical out on the br player to the optical in on your htib. the hdmi cable would then have to be routed to the tv. one cable for audio and one cable for video.

if you had a htib with hdmi input we could have eliminated a cable.

some say that hdmi will give you the best sound but using optical should be comparable.

Victor C

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Hello, It is to my understanding, after reading and studing. That while I would not be able to get Lossless audeo from a Blu-ray. But I would still get sound quality that would greatly exceed, that of what I could get from a DVD. Because of the DTS-HD Master Audio, which consists of two stream's. A core with High Resolution (but lossy) DTS track. And a DTS-HD MA (Master Audio) track. The Blu-ray movies have a standard Dolby Digital track, just like DVDs. It's a higher qaulity than you find on a DVD. My question now would be. If I hooked up the SONY BDP-S590 Blu-ray Player, to my SONY DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System. Useing Coaxial cable from the audeo out of the Blu-ray player. And hooking it up to the Opitical/Coaxial Digital in on the Home Theater System. Instead of useing the Optical Cable hook up method. Would I get 5.1 Surround ,and would the Surround sound quality be good or better? With the Coaxial hook up method, and HDMI hooked up from Bd Player to SONY KDL-46BX420 TV. If I hooked it up with Optical cable between the Bd player and Sound system, and HDMI between the Bd player and TV. Would I get a good qaulity 5.1 Surround sound? Would either way work,and if so which way would be the better way??? Thank's, Victor c ...

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Both HDMI, and Optical/Coax are capable of supplying 5.1/7.1 audio(DD/DTS). In terms of audio quality, even though you are dealing with a higher resolution signal, i'm not really sure a HTIB would be capable of delivering the resolution difference (HD/MASTER DD/DTS). HDMI to the TV, and an optical / coax signal to the HTIB should be sufficient.

Solution

Victor C

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I still do not know ,if hooking the player up with a coaxial conection , be any better than an optical conection??? And would hooking it up with a coaxial conection get me 7.1 Lossless ??? The (DD/DTS) decoding or foremating, is what is used on the inner core of the(DTS-HD MA, Master Audio) and DVD's, and not Lossless (Decoding)... Also would any body know if the qaulity of the (DVD) video or picture,be any better. On this Blu-ray player, than on the SONY DAV-DZ170 ??? Thank's Victor c ...