Laptop output to dvd home theatre

Alex_27_10

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hello,
trying to get music playback from my laptop to come through on my dvd home theatre system, it only has aux in and audio input available, the audio is white, aux in is red and both are s/pdif's. my laptop has lots of ins outs etc but no s/pdif. just a bit lost as to the best way forward.
please help!!

alex

frozenlead

Distinguished

Alex_27_10

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
excellent, i think you are right, i googled connections before writing my previous post, at that time the nearest thing i could find were s/pdif's.

having just looked through my realtek device manager options ive dicovered i have hdmi out and something that looks similar to an ethernet connection only wider!

does this change anything, presuming that i have the connections on my dvd player that you previously described!?

frozenlead

Distinguished
It depends on your setup. If your AV receiver has an HDMI in and output, and your TV has HDMI input, you can use the HDMI connection to carry both audio and video.

Else, you can always output video however you were doing it before, and then use the RCA-stereo cable I linked to.

Alex_27_10

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
do i have to involve the tv?
i just want to play music from the laptop directly through my stereo, which is the dvd home theatre system.

popoy6

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hi..

I wanted to use my dvd home theater's speakers for my laptops audio. I just bought 1 portable audio cable with 1 end connects to the laptop and on the other end, 1 red and white jack. I tried to connect it on the back of the dvd player but its not working or maybe I place it incorrectly. my home theater has 5 small speakers and 1 sub woofer connected on the back of the dvd player. Can you help me guys with this.

Thank you