Solved! ASUS Eee 1005PE - 2gb upgrade - worth it?

zore86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
So I have some plans on buying a ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005PE :bounce: as a portable student computer. Now, I know it's a netbook and all, but I would really want 2gb ram on it (which is available in europe but not the states for some dumb reason). Now, I have two questions regarding this.

First, is it worth it? From what I read, it'd be about $45 extra to get the 2gb, and I am not really sure how much additional performance you would notice. I read in a review that as it is, it sometimes have issues running 720p HD stuff from youtube, I don't know if this would help at all. Does anyone have some experience with this that could point out how much improvement I could expect to see.

Second, would this void the warranty? I am a little bit concerned with voiding the 1yr warranty just in order to get an additional gb of ram. At the same time, the ram is easily accessible and shouldn't be a problem to replace. Anybody knows about this?

Thanks in advance,
/Zore86

Solution
Based on my experience, having a memory more than 1gb do have their advantages. If you have the option then don't hesitate to do so. Upgrading memory is the usual upgrade path to improve system performance. I'm currently using a seashell 1201T with windows 7 and I can't imagine running it with only 1gb of RAM.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Based on my experience, having a memory more than 1gb do have their advantages. If you have the option then don't hesitate to do so. Upgrading memory is the usual upgrade path to improve system performance. I'm currently using a seashell 1201T with windows 7 and I can't imagine running it with only 1gb of RAM.

Solution