How to connect the Qosmio x505 s/p dif port to my receiver

alanmacd

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Hello,

I own a Qosmio x505-Q890 laptop with a 3.5 mm headphone jack that doubles as an s/p dif port.

I have a cable with a 3.5 mm plug at one end and dual rca plugs on the other end (black and yellow). However, nothing happens when I connect the s/pdif port on the laptop to the coaxial digital IN on the receiver with this cord. I've played with every possible setting on the laptop for the s/pdif audio device with no success (yet).

Do I need a 3.5 mm to optical cord instead? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Solution
a decoder with a media player is considered a filter.. since anything that goes after the actual playing of the data is in line with the data stream.
anything between the amp and the speaker would be a chance to affect the audio signal, and anything that affects the signal is a filter (even crossovers).

so.. when i said check the output pins, it is a software pin.
your media player may or may not show the information from the pins.
there are input pins that show information going to the filter, and output pins showing information going from the filter.

i would be able to walk you through it easier with a media player i know of already, than use something strange and try to learn it.

your properties that says 'optical jack' is rather...

alanmacd

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Also, just to clarify, I am playing a DVD on the laptop's Toshiba Blu-Ray player and trying to output 5.1 digital sound to my receiver, but am getting no sound of any kind.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
sometimes the output from the movie player can be reluctant to output digital audio.

you need to tell us that you have looked at the output pins to determine there is an s/pdif output actually taking place.

i have used media player classic home cinema and it has refused to output surround sound before.
but, you should still be getting stereo output if the media player is outputting audio at all.

have you plugged in some headphones and selected analog output from the laptop to make certain the movie player is playing audio?

how do you know the soundcard is playing analog audio but not digital audio?
start with analog first to some headphones or speakers connected to that output jack.

you could actually use the cord with the receiver's analog inputs to try and get some output.
maybe the cord is bad?
maybe the movie software isnt outputting anything at all?

answer those two questions and then you should have an answer.
if the cord is good and the video software is outputting audio, you should still get stereo output from the soundcard with the digital connection if the settings are wrong in the video player.

without those stereo outputs.. maybe the digital output on the souncard is busted.
or
maybe the digital input on the receiver is busted.
you would need a new soundcard that you know works with its digital output (or a different receiver with a digital input that you know works)

alanmacd

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for taking the time anwaypasible.

I have not looked at output pins - not sure how to do this. Would I need to open the laptop case and look at the soundcard?

The spdif port outputs fine to headphones, and when I use the 3.5 mm to RCA cord and plug the RCA plugs into the red and white inputs on the receiver, I get analog audio (left, right and subwoofer).

Just can't seem to get 5.1 digital using this cord, even when I set the default sound interface on the laptop to SPDIF and set the media player settings to SPDIF :-(

The digital input on the receiver works fine for my DVD player or cable box.

One thing I did notice:

When I look at the properties of the SPDIF interface, under "jack information" it reads:

L R Right Panel Optical Jack

Is it possible that it won't output an electrical signal, only optical, for digital sound?

That makes me wonder if I maybe need a 3.5 mm to fibre optic, instead of a 3.5 mm to RCA?

Any other suggestions that I can try for my current setup (without investing in fibre optic cables and a converter) would be appreciated. Thanks!

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
a decoder with a media player is considered a filter.. since anything that goes after the actual playing of the data is in line with the data stream.
anything between the amp and the speaker would be a chance to affect the audio signal, and anything that affects the signal is a filter (even crossovers).

so.. when i said check the output pins, it is a software pin.
your media player may or may not show the information from the pins.
there are input pins that show information going to the filter, and output pins showing information going from the filter.

i would be able to walk you through it easier with a media player i know of already, than use something strange and try to learn it.

your properties that says 'optical jack' is rather confusing.
i dont see how the software would suggest optical if there is no optical output, or if there wasnt an optical adaptor included with the computer.
it might mean you need an adaptor.. but do you need an adaptor or a convertor?

i'm happy that you gave the information needed to clear up some outer-edged questions.
the cord works, the output jack on the soundcard works, and the receiver's digital input works.

you have a real tough question.
because the computer might require an optical adaptor for the output jack.. there should be some information in the user manual that comes with the computer.

you could find the user manual or give us the model number to find the user manual.
but that doesnt mean the information will be there in the manual as it should be.

maybe the soundcard drivers are preventing the s/pdif output?

a real ugly situation.. and i would be willing to have you download the media player classic home cinema software to walk you through the steps of verifying the media player output is sending an s/pdif signal to the soundcard.
but as i have said, even if it doesnt send the s/pdif signal.. it would still send AT LEAST a stereo signal to the soundcard.. and the soundcard would send stereo to the receiver's digital input.
the only way you wont get stereo output is if the audio filter is disabled (or you have somehow selected 'mono' as the number of speakers)

since you arent getting stereo output from the s/pdif output.. we really need to not waste any time and learn if the 3.5mm to rca cord is going to work its job at sending a s/pdif signal to the receiver ... or if you need an optical adaptor.
you shouldnt need an optical CONVERTOR because the signal would be coax already.. and the coax would be working with the receiver.

i just looked at the original post and found the model number.. i'm gonna put this post on pause and hunt down the info.

**back**

i read the user manual and it doesnt give anything about the s/pdif output.
but
i might have some good news, because on my onboard soundcard.. i have to un-mute the s/pdif in the volume properties.

i dont know how to navigate windows 7
but
for windows xp.. you open up the volume panel that has more than the main volume, then go up to the left.. select 'options' / 'properties' / 'playback' / then ensure each box has a checkmark by it.
after that, press 'ok' and have a look at all of the volume sliders.
find s/pdif and make sure the box next to mute is unchecked.

if i mute s/pdif in the volume control panel.. then s/pdif doesnt work.. and when i un-mute s/pdif it works.

maybe that is all you need to do?

if you do this and find that the s/pdif output is already un-checked.. you really need to contact toshiba and ask if you need the adaptor for optical output to get 5.1 sound to the receiver.
if they tell you know.. then you need to try some different soundcard drivers.
and if that doesnt work.. you need to bring the laptop back.

Solution

alanmacd

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Very informative!

The spdif device is not muted and the volume bars are showing output on the screen when audio is playing, but still no sound coming out of the receiver. Toshiba was not very helpful last time I tried them, but I think I'll give them another go. It seems a bit odd that an optical adapter would be required, I agree, but maybe Toshiba can shed more light on the issue. Will write again when I've checked with them.

Cheers, Alan

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
maybe the volume bars moving is an indication that the s/pdif isnt being used at all.
where you see volume bars is really a question of its own.

and remember, the s/pdif output 'mute' is totally seperate from the soundcard's control panel sometimes.
i think it is a bit weird that you are seeing volume bars moving, when the media player should be passing along the digital audio directly to the soundcard without first de-coding it for the volume bars.. then re-encoding it.
VU meters are a waste.. using time alignment at least is much more of a reason to decode and then re-encode.

maybe a different media player will give you a working connection?
you are bound to be suggested to try a different media player eventually.