Solved! Compaq presario r3000 laptop overheats and shuts down

rsstitanic1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello,

I have a compaq R3000. It keep shutting down. The fan runs normal at start but then speeds up before shut-down. It had crashed after a windows update. Microsoft told me I could use any xp installation disk to get it back. I used a friends dell xp installatin disk. It worked. was able to get to my files & data. Hand to load some drivers. The F-34 bois would not start the fan. So I instaslled F-35 updated bois from HP. When the laptop is powered on before the shut-down where the ac plugs in on the upper right corner get very hot ( any idea ) it will cool-down then it will star up again. I'm thinking that the thermo paste is old for one ( five yrs old ) For two I can't get access to the temp comtrol from the bois ?? If you have any idea's that would help please let me know. At rsstitanic1@ yahoo.com

Thank you for your time and help.

Update for everyone. Replaced the thermo paste and did a fresh install of the F35 bois. Things are running just fine. Heat is normal, fan is running normal.

Thanks for any help that was offered.

Solution
It seems as if it was some bad/old thermal paste. Just make sure that you applied it evenly and seeded the heat sink on it correctly.

rsstitanic1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Yes did everything by the book. Its been running now for over 2hrs and everything is fine. Thanks