Solved! MSI x-slim X340 series

carric

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
This series first debuted nearly 12 months ago. For the last week or so I have researching the hardware capacities of the laptop and still have unanswered questions.

1) The X340 user manual found on MSI's site states the maximum memory is 2GB/4GB (optional) while MSI's product specifications state 2GB. Which should I stick with on this one?

2) The processor for a few (or all) of the X340 series is Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 / 1.4 GHz. Intel states this particular processor has a 64-bit instruction set. The chipset is Mobile Intel GS45 Express and its max supported memory of 8GB suggests it should have no problem with more than 2GB. Is anyone aware how many memory slots it has?

3) MSI reps with customer service said the warranty does not allow end users to modify the memory or harddisk. Is this sound, or does anyone have advice on how long i should wait before breaking it if I so choose that route?

This is all I've got for now. Thanks in advance!

Solution
1. You might as well go with 4GB if it is a good deal, just as long as you go with a 64-bit OS in order to utilize all of the memory.

2. It probably has 2 memory slots, i.e. 2x2GB=4GB. The chip itself can support 8GB, but the motherboard can only handle 4GB.

3. That is a typical 1 year warranty (or extended if you chose to go that route). If you modify it in those regards, they won't fix it for free if it has a problem. If you want to add a faster hard drive, i.e. Solid State, I would wait for the warranty to expire.
1. You might as well go with 4GB if it is a good deal, just as long as you go with a 64-bit OS in order to utilize all of the memory.

2. It probably has 2 memory slots, i.e. 2x2GB=4GB. The chip itself can support 8GB, but the motherboard can only handle 4GB.

3. That is a typical 1 year warranty (or extended if you chose to go that route). If you modify it in those regards, they won't fix it for free if it has a problem. If you want to add a faster hard drive, i.e. Solid State, I would wait for the warranty to expire.

Solution

carric

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Thanks for the input!
Yes, I agree on 4gb being the optimal choice overall for memory's sake. I did find a few images of the inside of the X340 series, check them out:
http://cdn1.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/msi_x-slim_x340_breakdown_3.jpg
http://cdn1.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/msi_x-slim_x340_breakdown_4.jpg
-From the pictures it only shows 1 memory slot in the first pic..

The warranty for this laptop is limited, 36 months, btw. Thats a while to wait to use my current SSD, however I suppose SSD technology should be much improved by then and cheaper, probably included with most systems.