Windows laptop with the Asthetics of Apple

fawd

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello! I am in the market for a new laptop... I would normally head over to the apple store and purchase a MBpro - but their hardware is DATED. As a 3D/2D graphics designer, I need something with power under the hood. I was wondering if there was anything on the market that compares to the asthetics, battery life, and functionality of the MBpro. I do not want anything clunky or overly heavy as I do travel alot - in addition, I need something that has outstanding battery life. I have done alot of research, and I just cant find anything comparable to the asthletics of the MBpro with the hardware to boot....

Help me! Thanks :)

P.S. I am aware that Apple is "nearing" their release of the MBpro, but as my current laptop is no longer working and out of warranty I need a new laptop ASAP. Thank you again!

fawd

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I should include that because I travel alot, I would prefer the laptop to be in the 13" range. 15" is acceptable though - nothing larger.

fawd

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
1_What is your budget?
1000-2000 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13" to 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Quality Screen, specific resolution doesnt matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Something that works with 3DS MAX/After Effects

5_How much battery life do you need?
Battery Life is very important. 5-7+ Hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes... But will be mostly for work
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
3DS Max, After Effects, Photoshop, Presentations

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesnt matter much... as I use external HDDs and VPN

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
No. See above post for specifics
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Long as possible?

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Any, external is okay.
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any that fit the above descriptions

13_What country do you live in?
United States

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I would not recommend the HP Envy 15. It may pack good specs, but believe me it's trackpad is really bad. I would recommend the following that have good specs and are a treat to use:

-Lenovo y460 (all features of Macbook pro as well as it's thinness and weight. You're missing out on the large touchpad and OS X found on a Mac. The Lenovo is rather ugly.)
-Lenovo y560
-Sony VAIO Z (Bye Bye to the thinness and ergonomic features of the Macbook Pro, but it's very very light. It costs a lot, however, because it packs raw power in a 13 inch machine.)
-Macbook Pro :D

I recommend buying the current Macbook Pro as it may not have the best Specs, but can do 3D modelling and graphics work fairly well. It is also highly easy to use and a treat to use. But being patient and waiting for new ones will be worth it. Otherwise, the above will do great.