fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

What's the damage - cracked screen? If it's still being sold, then yes you can probably get a replacement screen.

However my experience with a 45" Aquos I bought some 4 years ago, was that it developed a dark line across the bottom third of the screen a couple months after the 1 yr. warranty expired, I took it to an authorized repair service, they said a new display would be needed and contacted Sharp USA to order one, and then found out that it had been discontinued a few months before and that Sharp no longer stocked parts for it. Pretty incredible and rather shoddy IMO.

Luckily for me, I had bought it using a Visa platinum card that extended the warranty by one year, so I got enough back to buy a 46" Sony XBR plus a BluRay player, which outperformed the Sharp and has worked these last 3 years perfectly.

Needless to say, I'll never buy Sharp again.. I gave the set to my brother who said after a while he stopped noticing the dark line :p..

Finally, I should note that apparently the problem corrected itself - my brother says the dark line just disappeared one day last summer and the set now works fine with all pixels working. Maybe the heat, as he lives in Miami. However I'd bet that the problem will show up again before too long..