Sharp Aquos View modes and playing movies!?

richboyliang

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Can someone describe each view mode on a Sharp AQUOS TV?

There are stretch, dot-by-dot, smart stretch, and zoom. Looks like dot-by-dot retains the original image down to each pixel, but I don't understand what the others do. When I have HD content on dot-by-dot, it leaves empty space to every side of the screen. If I stretch or zoom, it fills up the whole screen, but is it good?

My most important goals are to preserve aspect ratio, and see the whole picture (not cut any of it off). I don't know which view mode makes it so that if the original image doesn't happen to be exactly 16:9, the TV displays it with at least one end touching the edge of the screen.

My second issue: movies in 1920x800 (2.40:1) file resolution don't play back at that same resolution on the TV; they still play at the 16:9 ratio. I can't tell if the sides are getting cut off or it's being stretched. Any help here too?

seandogg80

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Yes, I have the Sharp 60le847u and I was wondering the same thing you were...I finally figured it out. "Dot By Dot" displays every single pixel that is being viewed from any content. However, it will not configure the exact aspect ratio of the 16:9 signal being displayed. This results in white lines on the edges of the screen with most T.V. broadcasts. "Dot By Dot" should only be used when watching a movie on cable/fios/satellite or when using a blu ray player and video game system.
To avoid seeing the annoying white lines while watching t.v. keep your t.v. broadcast signal on "Stretch" mode. This mode will not degrade the picture quality. It spreads the 16:9 content to fill up the entire screen.

"Dot By Dot" mode - Use with any source aside from t.v. broadcasting...It works perfect with blu-ray, video games and other content.
"Stretch" mode - Use ONLY when watching Cable/Satellite/Fios etc...