White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

ValricoFlorida

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have 4 white dots now, soon you'll have hundreds of white dots multiplying like rabbits. I just went through the same thing but with a happy ending. Here is a message I posted elsewhere.

I recently confronted the same "multiplying white dots" problem with my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV. It seemed most repair shops expected nearly $1000 to replace the light engine (with labor) which is absurd since it would cost me just a little more than that to simply buy another brand new TV of the same size and more up to date with LED, etc.

But, with a little research, I found there is a specific chip (manufactured by Teas Instruments) inside the light engine which is the cause of the problem. Generally these chips are costing about $299-325 but I bought mine over E-Bay for about $260 (new) from a very reputable rated dealer there, after I found the part number for the exact replacement chip for my particular brand and model TV (some different brands may even use identical chips, but they all look very similar anyway, so make sure you know the correct part number.) I even found a YouTube video showing another person replacing their chip which was very helpful to me.

To make a long story short, after removing the rear of my TV, disconnecting a half dozen wiring harnesses and removing just as many screws, I slid out the light engine (metal chasis) and sat it on my kitchen table. Then, I had to remove a cover hiding the circuit board where the chip was mounted (this was more tedious with very small screws and a few more wires to disconnect). Once I exposed the chip (which was mounted on the underside of the circuit board) it was simple to remove the chip with one turn of a retainer screw and plug the new chip in with another turn of the retainer screw.

I then proceeded to put everything back together. The only mistake I made was trying to test the TV before I reinstalled the back of the TV in place, because there is a safety mechanism which prevents the TV from working without the back in place.

Anyway, in less than 2 hours, I had my TV working like new again and the picture looks awesome and I feel like I've almost got a brand new TV again! By the way, I since found out my bulb has over 8000 hours of use which according to most reports is way beyond what is normally expected, so also through an EBAY dealer, I have bought another light bulb (new) for about $55 which is very easy to replace on my TV without even removing the back of my TV, but I'm going to wait until my original bulb burns out, because right now, I just couldn't ask for a better picture.

I was a little hesitant initially about spending nearly $300 for a replacement chip, not knowing for sure if I'd save my TV, but looking back now, I'm sure glad I did, although I can't promise everyone would be as lucky.

mrshaft178

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
thank you very much for your help

TennisGuru

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

I found the chip at a place called ShopJimmy.com for $159.00 and FREE 2nd day delivery. I called them and they were able to completely help me out. They even have an instructional video that helped me replace it myself. The TV repair guy wanted $500 to fix it, I did it myself for the $159.00!!

www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-mitsubish...ource=csr&utm_medium=website&utm_cam paign=jh

PonyX

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

The white "dots" are actually caused by tiny mirrors on the DLP chip that get stuck in the on position.
You will also get black "dots" if the mirrors get stuck in the off position.

I'm about to do my in-laws 65" Mitsu by replacing the DLP chip I bought from ShopJimmy.com.
It's $160 and waaaay cheaper than calling out the repair guy. Their tv started with 3 white pixels, and now there are hundreds. They're like a rash, when you see one, more always follow and spread.

The videos on YouTube and ShopJimmy are VERY helpful if you have confidence in doing the repair yourself.
If you're not, try to find someone that would be willing to do it for you. It should only take about an hour with a couple of screwdrivers, some compressed air and elbow grease. Longer with the whole family watching, which will be my adventure.

Mrbigmoneygrip

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

Hello,
We had the white dot problem. We called mitsu's 800.332.2119#. They covered ALL but $200. As soon we got off the phone with them, the local authorized service company called, came out immediately and fixed the set- in about one hour! I gladly wrote the check and am very impressed with Mitsu's service. By the way, we do not have any coverage on the set. Do yourself a favor and call Mitsubishi's service.

Mrbigmoneygrip

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello,
We had the white dot problem. We called mitsu's 800.332.2119#. They covered ALL but $200. As soon we got off the phone with them, the local authorized service company called, came out immediately and fixed the set- in about one hour! I gladly wrote the check and am very impressed with Mitsu's service. By the way, we do not have any coverage on the set. Do yourself a favor and call Mitsubishi's service.

Showmestate

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
That's impressive. But how were you able to get them to cover most of the cost if the TV did not have any coversge (warranty)?

Mrbigmoneygrip

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I think they just back their product. I called wanting to trade in or get a discount on another Mistsu TV hopefully, they recommended covering it getting fixed for $200 and change which is what the part basically cost. To me, unbelievable service and working with their customers. I hope you give them a call if you have the same problem and wish you success.

Showmestate

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Thank you very much for the information. Interesting that they would rather fix your current one versus getting you to buy another one, good to know. My Mitsu started getting darker and darker this weekend until finally this morning the solid red light came on. I was going to call service and started checking around the internet and found that the issue was the lamp (this was before the solid red light came on) and how easy it was to change it. I was going to order the lamp for about $46 from Amazon and noticed the bad reviews. So, I paid the extra $$$ and ordered it from Mitsubishi. I bought the tv back in 2010. It is a 65 inch C9. It is not under warranty.

In checking the internet regarding issues with the DLP, I came across this site and the issue with white dots. I don't have white dots.....yet. So, I am just weighing in options in case I start having this issue. :)

jpeezy

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

That was some GREAT info! I've been having the ‘white dot’ problem for about a month now. It started off as two white dots. We didn't know what the issue was so we took a dry erase black marker and colored them in on the screen itself...lol... Well two white dots multiplied into eleven white dots in about a weeks time! I was actually reading all of the threads and thinking about ordering the DLP chip and attempting to replace it myself until I saw your suggestion to call Mitsu. Sure enough, although my TV is no longer under warranty they offered to cover all expenses other than $200 and would have someone out to repair it (free of charge) as soon as the part arrives. Now the only down side is Mitsu said it may take 1-2 weeks to receive the light engine so it's a race against time. How many white dots will we have to color in before the repairman arrives? What started off as a stressful situation (worrying about replacing our TV just a month after the holiday season or paying $1000+ to have it repaired) has now turned into a hilarious race with my wife to see who can fill in the most dots. Thanks for the info!!

Showmestate

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing.

Desjeany

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Sounds like a good deal. What exactly did you tell mitsubishi about your tv when you called? Just wondering so I know exactly what to tell them. Thanks for the info.

weh333

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I have a Mitsubisi 73" DLP. I purchase the extended warranty 4-10-2008 for $449.50 with 5 years coverage.

I had over 200 white spots on my screen. I call the Extended Service Number and made a claim.

A service technician came out and replace the DMD (Digital MicroMirror Device) and replace the LAMP.

DMD Chip $180.00
Lamp $80.00.

Set is working like new now. There was no charge.

So this Dead Pixel-White Spot problem can be fixed by inserting a new DMD chip.
Also the LAMP replacement is straightforward.

So no need to Panic. The White Dots - Dead Pixel flaw is easily corrected.
Even if you buy the parts yourself, it is not expensive. The DLP set is well worth keeping.

wm_harrison

kcmary

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
woo-hoo - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to this thread. like everyone else, i have rapidly multiplying white dots on my screen. today i finally called the 800 number listed above and talked to customer service. they took my name, vitals, tv model & serial numbers to make a report. he then informed me that mitsubishi would cover the repair (as a goodwill gesture since this is a common problem) - i would only have to pay $200...not the $600-$1000 it would cost at a repair shop. I didn't have to beg, plead or threaten in any - was prepared to do all of the aforementioned. The "chip" is on order and the authorized repair shop will be out next week to fix my 73"...can't wait. But what will i do for amuzement when i turn on the tv - now that i won't be counting how many new white dots we have today? thanks, mitsubishi - and thanks to this blog and the above posts.

octiona1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

octiona1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Thank you Mrbigmoneygrip for the 800 number. We called the number about our white dots last week they came out today and fixed the tv and was done in less then an hour. It was worth paying the $200.00 verses paying $1000. It plays like a brand new tv, thanks again.

njbusk

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Chip44

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Thanks this to forum, plus the advice of a co-worker with the same problem. My 'white dot' issue is solved as of today. I, too, called the Mitsubishi Consumer Relations 800-332-2119 number last week. I bought my TV in late 2007 with an extended 4-year warranty. Though out of warranty, Mitsubishi agreed to send the part to my local authorized service center at no charge -- no begging or arguing needed. It took about a week for the part to arrive, but the service tech installed the new chip today. The cost was $200 plus tax. My first white dot had appeared around last Thanksgiving. Gradually, more dots appeared. This was in addition to some less-noticeable black dots. I was up to about 40 dots when I decided to make the call for repair. My tech today thought I was was wise to call as he questions how long Mitsubishi will provide the replacement chip at no charge on TV's out of warranty. The tech also emphasized the defective chip was not Mitsubishi's fault. He said this was a Texas Instruments chips and that some old Samsung models had the same chip and same problems. The TV looks great -- no more white or black dots!