How to fix damaged jpg file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It depends upon what part is broken. If it's a broken header, you can usually fix it by simply opening the file in a hex editor and fixing the header. I do this all the time during forensic investigations. If it's broken data inside the file, then there is not much you can do. I normally use EnCase or similar tools for recovering deleted files. What filesystem was the file on? If it was NTFS and it wasn't overwritten, then you should have gotten a complete file. Unfortunately, most file recovery software tools don't recognize an overwritten file and just recover all the sectors associated with the file from the $BITMAP whether they have been reallocated for another file or not.

GodBlessTexas

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
It depends upon what part is broken. If it's a broken header, you can usually fix it by simply opening the file in a hex editor and fixing the header. I do this all the time during forensic investigations. If it's broken data inside the file, then there is not much you can do. I normally use EnCase or similar tools for recovering deleted files. What filesystem was the file on? If it was NTFS and it wasn't overwritten, then you should have gotten a complete file. Unfortunately, most file recovery software tools don't recognize an overwritten file and just recover all the sectors associated with the file from the $BITMAP whether they have been reallocated for another file or not.

Solution

noraf22

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Hi I Have Pictures Which Are Corrupted And I Duno How To Fix Them, But I Know You Dont Know Me But You Seem ta Know What Your Talking About, If I Send You The Pictures In An Email Attactment Would You Be Able To Fix Them For Me Casue I Need The Pictures As They Have Important Memories To Me Of A Loved One, If You Can Will You Please Email Me Back At Norafitz12345@hotmail.com, I Would Greatly Appericiate If You Could Help Me

sdanny66

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,
You can easily recover JPG files, using some memory card recovery software or photo recovery software. You can use Remo Recover (Windows) - Media Edition software. Along with photos, this software can also recover deleted audio and video files from memory cards.

You can download the trial version of this software and evaluate the recovery results. Give it a try. All the Best :)

concisa

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Hi,
Microsoft Office Picture Manager caused the problem I describe here:
(1) I reduced picture size using Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
(2) All pictures were reduced just fine and Picture Manager displayed the pictures perfectly.
(3) At the end of the task, I saved them using the same software.
(4) After that, the softweare closed, thumbnails of a few of the pictures flashed and then their thumbnails went blank.
(5) A details list of the JPG files show that their dimensions are correct, but their size diplays just 5KB as opposed to the correct pictures sizes around 50KB.

I've tried to fix this using various tools and was unable: Picture Doctor, PixeRecovery, Irfanview and others. Irfanview displays the Image Information and does not detect any error; but it does not display it correctly. I even attempted converting one of them with Irfanview to no avail.

What whould I do?

Thanks a lot.
armando@pipeline.com

concisa

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Hi David,
Thanks for asking. As I mentioned in my question's description, no software was able to display the pictures. But, I was able to recover all of them except one using the software suggested by Sdanny66. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.