Solved! Help: Dell Laptop Processor & GPU Customize options.

varunmehta11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
i have a confusion about the options for the 2 most important features of a Dell laptop i'm customizing on their site.
Firstly,Please let me know if there is any need to upgrade: Core i3-350 to Core i5-430. Is this feasible or just a negligible performance upgrade ?

Secondly,Keeping in mind that i want the GPU which has pretty good video playback and can play games at good Frame rates(if not better/excellent). Also it should be future ready too. Which of these three graphics option should i go for:
1) Mobility Radeon HD 4530 512MB
2) Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB
3) Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GB (is it worth upgrading from HD 4530 or HD 4570 to this one)

While checking the Reviews of Laptop GPUs i noticed that the ATI mobility Radeon 4XXX/5XXX series have Lower Shader clocks than nvidia geforce 210/310M . Does that make any difference ?

Solution

They won't because
1) they don't want to deal with any heat issues associated with sticking a powerful card in a small laptop
2) they want you to look at the larger and more expensive laptops if you want to play games, but all companies are like this not just Dell.

While checking the Reviews of Laptop GPUs i noticed that the ATI mobility Radeon 4XXX/5XXX series have Lower Shader clocks than nvidia geforce 210/310M . Does that make any difference ?

No, because the cards run with different architectures meaning they utilize their resources in different ways.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
You really should list the cost of those upgrades... otherwise, it's really hard to say what's worth the added costs.

My gut says the i3-350 is fine and the i5-430 (unless it's insanely cheap) won't be worth the extra coin.

The video cards are another story all together... none of those cards are going to be particularly good at gaming... if you're wanting a laptop that can game, I'd suggest going over to NewEgg and looking through some of their Asus models in the $800 range... plenty of those have very capable GPUs that can run circles around any of the GPUs you listed.

varun89yadav

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
i know the answer for the first on .... no to the i5 upgrade ...

and about the gcard issue , i have the same problem (thinking to but studio 14)

if u get the answer please do mail me at varun89yadav@gmail.com

varunmehta11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Yeah i'm also interested in the Studio 14. Dell should provide more (and better) Gpu upgrade options cos all these 3 are weak GPUs.
And btw HAPPY HOLI !to all.

They won't because
1) they don't want to deal with any heat issues associated with sticking a powerful card in a small laptop
2) they want you to look at the larger and more expensive laptops if you want to play games, but all companies are like this not just Dell.

No, because the cards run with different architectures meaning they utilize their resources in different ways.

Solution

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

You should edit your message to remove your e-mail from the post.
It's never a good idea to put your e-mail out like that, begging for spam.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
If you ever do it, use [at] or something other than @ to avoid spam crawler bots.

On topic, if you can afford it, you should go for the XPS 16. It looks a lot nicer and has better resolution.