Check out this OLED TV, thinner than your pinky!!

samisgray

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I stumbled across this video while looking through some tech blogs. What a twist at 20 sec!!! I didn’t notice there was a TV in front of the guy talking until the camera turned around to show this LG OLED TV. He says it's 4mm thick. Well, it's thinner than half of my pinky, and its pretty thin.

The first video on the main page.
http://gosugadget.blogspot.com/

jangtheman

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
OMG… I didn’t know the TV was there during the whole time in the beginning. When the camera moves to the right, I thought the black thing was the one the cnet guy was talking about. I am blown away by how far tv technology has come. LG sure did an amazing job on their OLED TV. I have been thinking about getting a new TV and I might wanna go with this LG OLED TV. I am so gonna visit bestbuy this weekend to see it myself. The only concern is that it's so thin that it breaks easily.

christalclear

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I don’t have this TV but I can tell you that LG is known for its super reliability. My LG LED TV hasn’t have a single problem for 4 years. You're worried for nothing. Anyway, this OLED TV is looking insane. :bounce: Looking at the firework scene, I recognized that the black level is much higher than mine.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
These are planned to come out Q3 2012 which is nice, people reading this go buy one so the price drops and I can get one too because they look amazing.

dannytv

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
You are not gonna find it at any stores right now. LG has just unveiled this OLED TV at CES. I guess this is one of the videos taken at the show. Samsung was the another company showed off their OLED TV of the same size, 55 inch but twice thicker than LG's. It gave me a feeling that LG is twice ahead of Samsung when it comes to TV technology.

imabe

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
lol oh what??...its so crazy!!!I... didn’t know the TV was there.!!..it just like popped out of nowhere!!! I am speechless by how far tv technology has come. LG sure did an amazing job on their OLED TV. I have been thinking about an upgrade for my tv and I definitely wanna go with this LG OLED TV. I am so gonna visit the local store or order it the first chance its available for order!!!

http://gosugadget.blogspot.com/

ddavemac

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, I saw that vedio too. LG is pretty amazing,huh? Sometimes, technology is too fast, it scares me lol. Anyway, I'm also a fan of OLED TVs. Yeah maybe it's price will be high af the begging, but i'll go down sometime and I'm looking forward to it. :wahoo:

markalex7400

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Whoa!!!!!!! what an incredible one. Apart from the thin nature one thing i immediately take note of is that it has a complete color range and viewing angle.

markalex7400

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I agree with you. If you follow the link ;( http://www.oled-info.com/ces-2012-praise-samsungs-and-lgs-oled-tvs,) you will noticed that CNET gave LG OLED TV the "Best awards". That means LG is a bit ahead of Samsung.

markalex7400

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I don't think the price will drop so soon even though LG is known to charge at a fair price. Whatever happens, the market will tell.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Nah TVs always drop around X-mas its just marketing, Oleds will too I wont expect them to be more than 5k in 2013. LG is supposed to be making 48,000 a month that is a lot of TVs so they have to be planning to sell them fairly cheaply.

browndve

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I have to disagree with you. LG is not the only one company that unveiled 55" OLED TV this year. Samsung's SUPER OLED TV may not be as thin as LG's but when the one is .30" and the other is .15", both of them are so thin that no one cares to discuss which is better. People care more about which has a better picture quality and my vote goes to the SUPER OLED TV.

mspear22

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I doubt you actually have watched those TVs and have a chance to compare them yourself. I visited both of Samsung's and LG's booths at CES. OLED TV was definitely the highlight of this year's home entertainment segment. It attracted more people than anything else. Samsung named their OLED panel Super AMOLED long time ago and has been using it on their mobile phones. Their Super OLED TV didn't look like it had anything super about it with its old OLED technology. On the other hand, LG introduced their OLED TV of new technology which has an additional color pixel and a full color layer. Most of the people including myself could tell that the picture on LG OLED TV looked more natural and accurate and it didnt look dark when watched from the sides which happend for Samsung's.

nate_kan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Unfortunately we don't know a date yet for the release.
Speculation tells me around July or August but who knows, LG might even pull a fast one and release it next month.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Super is just a marketing term made by Samsung it has nothing to do with the quality of the screen with Samsung its all super Amoled then super Amoled plus then super oled plus 2. None of it means any thing.

LG is WRGB (brighter and more uniform color wear) SS is RGB (less uniform more color wear). Those are the differences, along with style and smart menus LG being passive 3D SS being active.

Also no one expects SS to be able to get the TV out by 2012. LG though will as they are a few factory gens ahead of SS from all the phones they make etc.....

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

HAHA me too now I just need to convince my wife because I have already made up my mind.

LG do your offer a wife subsidy program? Or a program with help for married men 10 things to say to your wife when you want to buy LGs new Oled TV.

ddavemac

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Well..I understand your concern but I've heard OLED panels are more flexible which means less breakable. BTW, anything is breakable. If you want to spend that much money on an OLED TV, I think you should take extra precaution on it. No ones gonna spend 7k on a LG OLED TV and then try to break it right after. When I buy mine, im thinking about putting it in a handmade case for more durability but keep the front empty.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Actually Oled is printed on a substrate like your cell phone, its super durable more so that current TVs and a ton more than plasma.

It might be thin but its strong think gorilla glass.

The Oled is a super thin layer on that.

So don't be worried about breaking one, they are probably a lot tougher than your current TV.

vgoladlo

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
The only thing I have read that can hurt OLED is water. Even slight amounts can affect the pixels significantly. You'll have to remember to keep the cups away from the TV. I find myself quite excited as the LG OLED TV has been announced for a June release, a bit speedier. Who knows, maybe when the smoke all settles, their going to say March release. Either way, I hope GTA 5 comes out too. OLED TV + GTA 5 = Wife's gonna be pissed.