What frequency range for crossover for lead guitar to woofer

guitarplayer11

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
what frequency range for crossover for lead guitar to woofer. I need to buy the right crossover, to install a 12" woofer along with 3 12" LG (Lead Guitar) Speakers in a cabinet. I want to capture the thundering base lines on some songs, but I do not know what I should buy. Any help?

It really is not done that way, guitar players don't use crossovers or woofers.
A four 12 cabinet with good speakers in it, like maybe EVM or JBL, will give you much better bass,
and an amp with suitable Equalizer and tone controls, or a graphic equalizer are the more conventional methods of equalizing, boosting, bass.

guitarplayer11

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I already have 3 B-52 LG12" speakers rated at 100 Watts. I built my own cabinets and they look and sound fantastic. I built separate cabs for each speaker for several reasons. 1. Portability. 2. Versatility. (I can stack them any way or in multiple directions). 3. I wanted to be able to take just one, for a practice session, and not have to haul a 4-12 cabinet around.
I only have the 3 speakers and plan to buy a 4th. I am currently using a separate Peavey 1-15 cabinet as the 4th. I'm not sure if the 15" if a full range or a woofer, but it sounds fantastic. I don't want to tear the speaker out of the Peavey cabinet as the cab looks and sounds brand new. I just want options for the 4th matching cabinet I will be building for my set. In other words I can buy any speaker I want. I was curious if I got a woofer, would it work well, or just try to get a 15" full range. I can build to my tastes, no matter what the (norm) is. I am not conventional, by any means, but I want to experiment with a woofer, if it will gain me anything in sound. I know about series and parallel, wiring and the speakers are 8 ohms , so I don't need instruction on that. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and gotten any success.

You will save yourself a lot of trouble by using guitar speakers, in a properly designed cabinet. The cabinet specs are provided by the speaker manufacturers.
Build a 1 X 12 cabinet if you want it portable.
Other than that, nobody uses crossovers for guitar amps. Crossovers are for PA systems, and hi end stereo systems.
There is not enough frequency range from a conventional guitar to justify using a crossover. 15" speakers are for bass guitar, not 6 string.

jim swashbuckle

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

jim swashbuckle

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

jim swashbuckle

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

I,m with ya...been playing for 45 yrs...i play threw a vintage marshall and a crate..i,m going to build a cab with a crossover...a vintage marshall has no high mids and my crate has way to much high end...eq has little to do with it,its the nature of the amps and speakers combined..i learned along time ago when it comes to creativity nothings conventional..i built a few studio monitors,so i have some insight on crossovers..good guitar speakers have high sensativity levels and there not cheap. My goal is to install a crossover in my cabinets combined with some compression to really zero in on the guitar eqs..the speakers and the wood will produce thesweet lows...i would not use a 15" for guitar..im thinking putting a crossover between my two 12"s crossing over at 1,500 Hz..2nd order and at 15,0000hz..so the 2nd 12 will be a bandpass.