How to fix a computer dvd drive

samembry

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello,I'm wondering how to fix my computers cd/dvd drive. When ever i put a DVD in it is all stuttery and doesn't really work. I know its the dvd drive and not the dvd because I have tried several different dvd's. What it does, it plays for a few minutes then it like pauses for a second, then plays for a second, then pauses for a second, etc.

Solution
Does the drive seem to be spinning as fast as before? It sounds like it is running at a lower transfer rate for whatever reason. One solution might be to copy the contents of the dvd to the hdd prior to watching. Another possibility is that your DVD drive is fine and some process is hogging your computer's resources. Has the rest of the computer been slow lately? When you look at the task manager is the cpu maxed out?

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Does the drive seem to be spinning as fast as before? It sounds like it is running at a lower transfer rate for whatever reason. One solution might be to copy the contents of the dvd to the hdd prior to watching. Another possibility is that your DVD drive is fine and some process is hogging your computer's resources. Has the rest of the computer been slow lately? When you look at the task manager is the cpu maxed out?

Solution

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
you could try cleaning the lens of your DVD drive. If you can get a visual of it...

take a cotton swap, remove the cotton. Attach some kind of lint-free cloth to the end, dash some isop. alcohol on it, and rub it on the lens softly.

Worth a shot.