Can you put a variable resistor on the subwoofer cable?

gregsby

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a Panasonic SA BTT370 5.1 home cinema system but the base is far too loud. I have altered the dB settings and set the voulme dynamic compression to on.

However the bass is still too loud. I am quite adept with a soldering iron and was wondering if there was some kind of variable resistor/rheostat I could use inline with the subwoofer speaker cable so I can further tweak the levels?

Any help would be appreciated - thank you

Usually you can adjust the woofer level low enough from the set up menu of the Panasonic. If that doesn't work then I would try to plug any ports that the woofer may have. It also seems to be downward firing so raising the woofer (or turning it upside down would help. If it is in or close to a corner move it. Finally if the woofer is not self powered you could wire an L-Pad or speaker volume control such as is used with in wall speakers (this would not require a soldering iron since it is meant to be connected with speaker wire.

gregsby

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

It is a downward sub - so I will defintely try tipping it. I think the LPad might be the way forward tho - thanks very much for your reply - it means a lot to know there is someone out there who'll help :)