40" LED LCD TV to be used for everything except TV

spastic-nutcase

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hi Guys :)

I'm im the market for another 40" LED LCD TV
I have a 40" already however it is 768P and i want 1080P
It will be used as a computer monitor, for xbox 360 and PC gaming, and for watching movies.
I do not have a price limit and just looking for the best quality 40" i can find.

I have seen the Samsung UA40D6600 and can pick it up for $1179 AUS, can anybody share any thoughts or advice?

Much appreciated

Solution
granted i've never dealt with this issue firsthand... but from what i've read around here the trouble with 120hz/240hz televisions is that they process the video signal and add in extra frames which causes significant lag. i think some people circumvented this by putting the tv into a 60hz video game or pc mode but i'm not sure this works on all models. a 60hz model looks perfectly fine and should have zero issues. of course its not 3d ready... but 3d is a joke.

true... flagship models normally are much larger than 40" so you might not get so lucky with the led grid-backlighting.

not sure what they are going on about 400hz/400cmr but i wouldnt put much stock in that number.

it might not be top of the line and have all the features...
you will want a 60hz model. there could be issues with 120/240hz models so beware.

you want hdcp compliancy if you want to use it with a ps3.

personally i prefer sony products.

if you want the best then you might want to look for one of the high end models which isnt edge-lit by leds instead it has them arranged in a grid behind the screen. the contrast is better this way.

spastic-nutcase

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks for your input ssddx, I am looking for best performance over all, my only restriction is that it seems as though all the high end models are over 40", and i really cant get anything bigger than 40" because my room is so small.

Also wouldnt a 120/240hz model be better than a 60hz model? What is the issue with 120/240hz? From what i've read on the specs, it says the TV is 400hz, but thats the first time ive seen a number like that so im skeptical, especially since it does not say the hz ANYWHERE on the official samsung spec sheet. It does however say that the CMR is 400, which im assuming is where they got the 400hz from.

Can you

granted i've never dealt with this issue firsthand... but from what i've read around here the trouble with 120hz/240hz televisions is that they process the video signal and add in extra frames which causes significant lag. i think some people circumvented this by putting the tv into a 60hz video game or pc mode but i'm not sure this works on all models. a 60hz model looks perfectly fine and should have zero issues. of course its not 3d ready... but 3d is a joke.

true... flagship models normally are much larger than 40" so you might not get so lucky with the led grid-backlighting.

not sure what they are going on about 400hz/400cmr but i wouldnt put much stock in that number.

it might not be top of the line and have all the features like smart-tv but a relative recently purchased a sony bravia 46" led 60hz 1080p tv for about $650 on sale. looks great and at a good price too.

i myself own an older ccfl backlit sony 40" bravia and it works great.

i like the new samsung models which appear to have virtually no bezel due to the clear plastic edges. however, i will always stand by sony as the products have always been good for me.

Solution