Plasma vs led for console gaming. help!

the8thorigin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Okay, tax return season is here and I'm gonna have about $800 to spend. I need a new hdtv badly. I'm only going to use it for PS3 and XBOX 360 gaming and watching blurays. I can't believe how confusing this all is. For 2 years now I was convinced I needed a tv with 120 Hz but after all the things I've been reading what the hell does 120Hz even do? I mean, I can't use it for gaming apparently because it switches to 60 Hz so theres no lag. Do they even make any games (not on PC) that output 120 Hz? From what I've seen so far there isn't any. And then I've heard that when you watch blurays it messes up the graininess of certain films and the whole "soap opera effect". So would watching a bluray with 120 Hz do anything good. I remember seeing ice age 2 at best buy through a small tv that must'be been 120 Hz because it looked "unreal". It looked so clear and smooth I felt wierd but I actually like that. I want the same feeling while playing a game but without the lag. From what I've gathered so far it's almost better to have a better response time (less than 5ms) than to to have 120 Hz considering I haven't seen one use for 120 Hz. So confusing! Then there's the plasma vs led debate...I can't seem to get one clear answer from anybody! I just want to know what is better for gaming! And I heard that plasmas don't actually have 600 Hz its only 60 for most models so that threw me on another wild goose chase. Which type of tv will be more fluid and have less jutter? I want to be able to see the high definition while it is in movement, not just during still shots. I only have $800 to spend so that is a big consideration. I like the crisp pop of leds but can that be attained with a plasma with settings? I was convinced I was getting an led with 120 Hz but plasma keeps looking better and better. Forgot to mention, I need one at least 42" and 1080p. Please help me somebody!

the three contenders:

plasma televisions
-best contrast ratios.
-bad history of high repair costs

lcd screens (ccfl backlight)
-cheap
-blacks are shown as a dark dark grey due to backlight

lcd screens (led backlight)
-slight energy savings
-models outside of your budget can have better contrast than ccfl
-more expensive

240hz vs 120hz vs 60hz?

personally i dont see what all the hype is about. 60hz looks more than fine to me and with all the various issues with 240/120 its not really worth dealing with (opinion). i would only go this route if you want to use 3d which is a huge gimmick as its incredibly fake looking. it looks like two sheets of paper sliding over one another. not something i'd pay good money for.

for a television devoted to blueray, ps3, xbox360 you will want 1080p

as far as a recommendation... i'd say stick with 60hz. led if you want the power savings and lighter screen but know that its not really going to improve in quality at this price range.

a relative just managed to pick up a sony 46" bravia led 60hz television for about $650-700 at BJ's wholesale. well within your budget i would say.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Does anyone know if the high repair cost of plasma TVs is still true these days? Does anyone has other opinions? I am thinking eventually to buy a bigger TV (currently I own a Sony Bravia XBR model KDL-40XBR6 LCD), and I may eventually want to upgrade to a 46" or 55" depending on a new home room sizes, and if I can afford a 55" HDTV. Other factors I may consider in a new purchase will be how many HDMI inputs the TV has, and if it has at least one component input, for I do play a Nintendo Wii and may need some other devices using components.

Other factors will be 3D playability, but this is not very important factor. In my case, I will not pay more than $1500 USD for any TV, for this will be my possible future budget for a future TV purchase. Any other comments are welcome. Thanks.

makinbiscuits

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly I personally wouldn't take repair costs into factor when buying a television. Odds are that if a part goes faulty on any electronic device it'll happen within the first year. After that if it was an inexpensive tv I'd just replace it and if it was a high end tv I would have some sort of extended service contract on it. Outside of ultra high end HDTV's its almost always cheaper to replace in then repair.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/18/slickdeals-best-in-tech-for-february-18th/

If $1500 is you budget, you might wants this VT plasma. If you have a credit card, buy it with that and it'll extended the warranty to two years.

The VT series pretty much destroys all lcd/led tvs in pq (except the Sharp Elite! :lol: ) so you can't really go wrong. Granted it's last years model, but still excellent. It's 3d too.