Solved! Which one to Prefer ?

daveterminator

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Guys i am new to this forum. I am a 3d modeling and rendering enthusiast and work on softwares like 3DSMax, Poser, Autodesk Inventor, Pro-e WF4, Ansis and Coreldraw and Photoshop cs4 etc. I am seeking your advice on bellow mentioned Laptop configurations on which i need to run above mentioned softwares. Also I play some games like Stlaker, COD5, and others i want to play them on atleast medium level graphics. will they be usefull. please help me. also suggest me any other option than these. My budget is around $1000.
configAMD.jpg

Or

configIntel.jpg

Solution

That really depends on the model of the processor, and the model of the GPU. Nvidia can be better in some cases, and ATI can be better in others. It all really depends on the brand and model laptop you choose.

The following is my suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220667

It might not have 4 threads like the i5, but it will perform just as well in apps that are threaded for 2...

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I don't know how graphics and/or cpu intensive your 3d modelling is, but I can tell you the CPU in the second computer is a lot better than that in the first. However, the graphics card in the first is a lot better than that in the second.

I can also tell you that with a 4550, I believe you will just barely be able to get a passable framerate at medium settings with those games. You might need to put them on low. I do know that with a 4650, you'll be able to go to medium for sure, possibly high.

I can also tell you that the AMD cpu is one of their best mobile ones and will probably get something like 80% performance of the i5 430M in the other laptop.

daveterminator

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

So U think that Intel i5 is better than the turion one?

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I know it is. The turion II is based on the Athlon II for desktops and is a decent CPU. At 2.4GHz, without taking cache into consideration (the turion II and athlon II have little), it will perform about the same as a core 2 duo at 2.2GHz. The i5 at the same speed as the core 2 duo will perform better clock per clock but I do not know by how much. This is without taking into account turbo boost. Turbo boost will boost performance in single threaded applications by increasing the clock rate of one i5 core on demand.

daveterminator

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

I recently brawsed many of the post, many of them were saying that the newly arrived turion is better than core 2 duo, but could not find any answer regarding the intel newcomer "core i series". So, are they better than turion for graphic related works? As far i know AMD was always a market leader in graphics industry, but not in in overall CPU market share. So then, has intel snached that share also? I mean to say, intel with their core i series have becomming popular in graphic industry also. I want to tell you a weird thing. I live in India. My dad has a bussiness in graphic industry. Two years back my dad took 6 new computers with core 2 duo chip, because intel is lot cheaper here than AMD. But I insisted may dad to buy me AMD Athlon x2 one at home. Within these two years many things happened to all of the computers in my dads office. :pfff: Total 7 motherboard crashes, 4 hardisk crashes, two nvidia graphic card failures. Now all the six comps have new cores, two with core i5 (recenty upgraded, around 2 months back) and 4 with athlon x2. In these past two years I have'nt spent a single peny on my comp at my home. So looking at this whole picture I think AMD is far more superior than Intel in reliability factor. Since I will start to pursue MBA from this year I need a laptop which will atleast last for 4 years which will serve my graphics needs also. Looking at the above picture how can i rely on Intel? Please tell me :(

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
The core 2 duo performs better than the turion II clock per clock. the core i will also perform better clock per clock but I am unsure by how much. I can't see more than a 20% performance boost over the turion II though.

From the sounds of your experience, I would go with your gut and get the Turion II if you don't think you can rely on an intel.

To answer your question as to how you can rely on intel still, all the failures had nothing to do with the processor itself. The motherboards were unreliable. The hard drives were bad and the nvidia graphics were bad (not surprising if they were integrated nvidia). For all we know they could have been cheap unreliable 775 motherboards while your AM2 motherboard was of decent quality. The work environment also could have been a factor depending on the situation.

Both laptops will work for your needs. Even though the intel will perform better CPU wise and the AMD will perform better graphics card wise. If you want to play the games at the settings you mentioned, the AMD will be able to do that while you would be pushing it with the intel.

daveterminator

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry for the late reply since I was out of station for some days.

If you are questioning the work environment, it was centrally air conditioned where very little or no dust is accumulated inside the cabinet. As appose to that in my home I will have to clean my cabinet every month, which I do not do. But answering to your motherboard quality qustion, yes it is possible. thye were gigabite motherboard, wherein my case, I have Asus AM2. But for GPU issue, they were not intigrated one but there were two 8800GT which gone begging. I have same. The RAM, Corsair.

Considering your statement that intel will perform better CPU wise and the AMD will perform better graphics card wise, I have one question which one of the bellow 4 will be the best combination, with same GPU memory (1gb)?
Intel core-i5 - nVidia GPU
Intel core-i5 - ATI GPU
AMD Turion II- nVidia GPU
AMD Turion II - ATI GPU

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

That really depends on the model of the processor, and the model of the GPU. Nvidia can be better in some cases, and ATI can be better in others. It all really depends on the brand and model laptop you choose.

The following is my suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220667

It might not have 4 threads like the i5, but it will perform just as well in apps that are threaded for 2 cores, if not slightly better. The notebook is also very light and portable in size, and packs some nice graphics power (once again, it's the Radeon HD 4650). The P series processor together with the LED-backlit screen should provide very decent battery life. Also the warranty provided by ASUS is some of the best in the industry.

The 5400rpm hard drive might be a slight downside, but on the plus you get great specs and portability at a good price. Comes with all the goodies such as hdmi, e-sata, wireless N, and a memory card reader. I also hear that all of the newer ASUS notebooks now come with face recognition software built in.

Another downside is no USB 3.0 support, but the technology is so new, there is no real urgency as of yet to get it.

Solution