Solved! Which Laptop to Pick?

macdon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hey guys looking at the following from XoticPC,

Asus G73JH-A1 (I believe it is the same as the A2 except this one has a blu-ray player)

Processor & Chipset
Intel® Core™ Mobile i7 Quad Core Mobile Processors (2.8 GHZ Turbo Mode)
Chipset: Intel® HM55 Express Chipset

Storage & Drives
2 Detachable 2.5" 9.5mm (H) SATA Hard Disk Drives
1 12.7mm (H) Optical Drive Bay, ATA Interface,
Interchangeable with DVD±R/RW Combo drive, Blu-ray/DVD±R/RW Combo Drive

Memory
64-bit wide DDRIII data channel
Fou 204 Pin SODIMM sockets
Expandable up to 16GB DDRIII 1333MHz

Video Controller
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 GDDR5 1024MB
PCI-Express™ 16X
Microsoft® DirectX® 11 Compatible
Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time; one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen. Multi-tasking has never been more convenient.

MSI GX740-079US
Display
17" WSXGA+ Super Clear Glossy Glare Screen (1680x1050)

Processor & Chipset
Intel® Core™ Mobile i7 Quad Core Mobile Processors (2.8 GHZ Turbo Mode)
Chipset: Intel® HM55 Express Chipset

Storage & Drives
1 Detachable 2.5" 9.5mm (H) SATA Hard Disk Drives
1 12.7mm (H) Optical Drive Bay, ATA Interface,
Interchangeable with DVD±R/RW Combo drive, Blu-ray/DVD±R/RW Combo Drive

Memory
64-bit wide DDRIII data channel
Two 204Pin SODIMM sockets
Expandable up to 8GB DDRIII 1066MHz

Video Controller
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (Built-in GDDR5 1024MB)
PCI-Express™ 16X
Microsoft® DirectX® 11 Compatible
Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time; one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen. Multi-tasking has never been more convenient.

So here's what I'm wondering;

1. The main difference between the two is the Asus has 8gb and the MSI has 4gb. Is this worth the extra money (and sacrificing eye candy for)?
2. How will these laptops run Crysis? (high settings, maxed out settings...)
3. Are MSI laptops reliable? I know no one who has one
4. In your opinion what should i get? (frankly I would rather get the MSI because I like how it looks :lol: but which would be the smarter pick? (the asus is almost 200 more)

Solution
You would want more info like processor clockspeed and the screen resolution of the Asus one. Besides those things, the difference between the two is that the Asus has 2 hard drives so you could do RAID 0 or RAID 1 and it has much faster ram. Both are beastly though.

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
You would want more info like processor clockspeed and the screen resolution of the Asus one. Besides those things, the difference between the two is that the Asus has 2 hard drives so you could do RAID 0 or RAID 1 and it has much faster ram. Both are beastly though.

Solution

macdon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Alright, I edited it. Both processors go to 2.8 GHZ in turbo mode

How well would they run COD6 at maxed settings?
How well would it run crysis?

G

I have been looking at both laptops, and I decided on the MSI, not only because of the looks but it is also 2 pounds lighter than the ASUS.
Ram will not effect gaming that much, as the core i7 and ati's 5870 will run any game that is out right now, crysis you will get 30+ fps on high with 4xAA easy. Ram will just make the computer more effective if you are running multiple apps in the background. so you are talking a minimal difference in gaming performnace. You can always upgrade later. I payed $1450 for my MSI which includes 3 day shipping, hopefully they announce the release date soon!!

MSI and ASUS both have the 2 yr warentee's and also 1 yr accidental damage, as for support I have not heard bad things about either company.

as a bonus the MSI comes with a nice backpack, it is also supposed to come with a gaming mouse but I did not see it included on xotics website. We will see

Good luck in your decision it took me a while but I am happy with my choice.

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I just bought the Asus G72 and I love it! The G73 is even better than the G72 and should play both those games on high settings. I don't know if the G73 comes with it, but the G72 comes with an overclocking utility which I was able to use to overclock my CPU from 2.53GHZ to 2.88GHZ.

I ran 3DMark06 with my G72 and hit a score of 10584 {in overclocked mode with video card also slightly overclocked}. The quality on the G72 is great and everyone is saying that the G73 is even better. I would choose the G73 myself.

frozenlead

Distinguished
It will run COD6 maxed and Crysis probably on high-ultra high.

4GB of memory and 8GB of memory really doesn't matter. You won't use the 4 gaming in the first place.

Do they both have 1680x1050 screens?

I would base your decision off of hard disks and looks if they have the same screen. Do you want more space vs how do you want it to look. It's a call based on your preferences/uses.

G

I did some hunting around and found a laptop that used the i5 and the ati hd 5850 with gddr3 it was running dirt 2, 70% if the settings were on ultra and the rest was on high, also it had 4X AA, and it was running perfectly, so I can just imagine what the core i7 and the 5870 with gddr5 will do. I don't think there will be a game that will push this duo to the limit for a while.

Does anyone know the official release date for the MSI yet?