Which cpu in new laptop?

KBang

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I'm looking for a new laptop. My recent (4 years old)laptop has some really annoying noise-issues caused by the fan, so I'm searching for a laptop with as low noise as possible. I will not be using it for gaming, but I'm working with Autodesk Revit Architecture. Manufacturer recommends a 2.4ghz cpu and at least 4Gb Ram. So I'm looking for a laptop (desktop replacement?) as "noiseless" as possible. I really hope you can help! Thanks!

KBang

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
1_What is your budget?
£800-950 / $1250-1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
From 15.4 to about 17"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Don't really know

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both is fine but I don't travel a lot with my laptop,- I prefer power higher than mobility

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not important since it will mostly be on ac

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Photo editing, working with Autodesk Revit Architecture, and of course internet

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Atleast 250Gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
-

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible, but more than 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not important

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm no big fan of Acer but only because the Acer I've already got sounds like an airplane most of the time

13_What country do you live in?
Denmark

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- It is very important for me that the fan is not running all the time, since I find this very annoying.
- I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait 2-3 months if necessary. I'd rather wait for a good laptop than buying the wrong one today.

I hope this was of any help:)

KBang

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Thank you for your help! The laptop you found looks very good, but a few questions comes to my mind:

1) As mentioned, I will be using the laptop for Autodesk Revit Architecture, which is a 3D buiding modelling program. The manufacturers homepage says this concerning system requirements/ recommendations:

System Requirements for 64-bit Autodesk Revit Architecture

Windows Vista 64-bit (SP1), including Ultimate, Business, or Home Premium edition, or Windows XP Professional (SP1) x64 edition*
Pentium 4 1.4 GHz or equivalent AMD processor
3 GB RAM
5 GB free disk space
1280 x 1024 monitor and display adapter capable of 24-bit color
Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP1 or later)
Microsoft Mouse-compliant pointing device
Download or installation from DVD
Internet connection for license registration
System Recommendations for 64-bit Autodesk Revit Architecture

Windows XP Professional x64 edition (SP1 or later)*
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz or equivalent AMD processor
8 GB RAM
5 GB free disk space
Dedicated video card with hardware support for DirectX 9 (or later)
Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 (or later)
Two-button mouse with scroll wheel

My question is then, is the 1.6Ghz i7 processor "powerfull" enough? Please excuse me if this is a noob question, but my knowledge of processors is very limited:)

2) My main concern is if the fan will be running at full speed all the time, as this is the case for my current laptop, and it is driving me crazy:)

1_No problem about asking :) i7 uses a different technology with C2D,an i7 720 can handle that task fine,also it benefits from a multi-core CPU and since 720QM is a quad core those 2 extra cores will become useful
2_I don't think the fan will always run at full speed

KBang

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Thank you very much for your help! I have been using a lot of time searching for the right laptop, but now I think my search is finally over:) Now I only have to wait for having enough money to buy it:)

After reading several customer reviews of laptopdirect.co.uk I am stll interested in bying the HP Pavilion dv7-3105ea Core i7 Laptop, but not from laptopdirect though.