Pc connected to av amp, but tv has to be on to hear sound

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
hello, please can someone advice this village idiot.

i have my hp pavalion S5313UK with blu ray and HDMI.

i have pc connected to my new AV AMP (pioneer VSX-920) with HDMI.

i finally figured out how to get sound from the pc to come out of the AMP. my problem now though is that i can only get sound from the PC via the AV AMP if my television is switched on.

my tv is also connected to the amp also, i dont want to have the tv switched on everytime i want to have sound from my pc.

very confusing situation, and i hope someone can advise on this please.

note that everthing is connected to the amp via hdmi only. i carnt understand how sound doesnt work if the tv screen is off but the av amp is still on.

thanks and look forward to any advice you can offer.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Can you specify how everything is connected?

From my understanding, your computer is connected to your receiver via HDMI from your graphics card?
Then your receiver is connected to your speakers via speaker wire?
Your monitor is connected to your reciever by a second HDMI cable?
Finally your TV is connected the same way?

What happens if you simply unplug your TV? Did you select the right input/output on your reciever? Does your computer support Optical, you should use that instead.

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
my pc is connected to av amp from the graphics card with hdmi only.
my pc monitor is connected to pc with normal dvi monitor plug.
yes speakers are connected to av amp.
a single hdmi cable goes to my plasma tv from the one hdmi output on the amp.

i carnt understand why the tv needs to be on to hear pc sounds. its fine when using the plasma tv as my pc screen, but dont want it as a monitor all the time. if sound is going to the av amp, then the plasma screen should be irrelevent.
it should work like video recorders work, as in you can record tv without need of a tv. the amp should output pc sound without the tv.

yes the imput for my pc is selected on the av amp even when tv switched off.
my pc doesnt have optical output. just hdmi and the green jack plug output.

very frustrating situation.

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
as homer simpson would say DOHHHHHHHHHHH. dont know why or what i done, but after readign your reply i decided to try again. i didn nothign different, but now it works.
there was about 5 seconds of silence when i turned the tv off before the pc sound came back.
dont have a clue why it works now. all that matters is it does work.
thanks for your reply earlier. good to know people still into helping others.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
you said the TV is connected to an hdmi OUTPUT?

why would you output from the amp to the television if you have speakers connected to the receiver?

and why does turning the TV off make the receiver 'auto-select' the pc input?
usually that is controlled by a dial or knob on the receiver.

is there a cable box connected to the receiver?
did you have an hdmi output on the TV and plugged that into the receiver?

i mean.. did you take a single hdmi cable and cut it open to send one hdmi signal to the receiver and one signal to the television?

i suppose you are lucky to have a receiver that will play audio from the amplifier while sending an hdmi signal to a television.
and the fact that the receiver knows when the television is on or off is really amazing.

one would think the audio being sent to the television would be playable by the TV if the volume wasnt muted.. or if the TV amplifier was turned on in the menu settings.

deciding if the receiver plays back the audio or the TV plays back the audio could be a frustrating decision for designers.
but the receiver should have a simple on/off setting for such a thing.

talking about 'auto-select' is really over the top!

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

you misunderstood me.
its sorted now though. i can now listen to pc sounds with the tv turned off.

just to answer your question though.
the amp has 4 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output. i have PS3, hd cable box and pc connected to the AV AMP, all via HDMI. then there is one hdmi cable from the av amp which goes to the plasma tv.

then you just select on the amp which hdmi to select for said device.

thanks for the reply.