What is the best 2.1 or 2.0 sound system for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey there guys,

I am after a set of external computer speakers that have really solid, deep bass and sharp, clear highs. I have no real budget limit here - but lets say $250AUD - I just want the best. I am willing to consider any brand from any store that ships to Australia (but I prefer local). A 5.1 system would be overkill for me because It must go on the desk of my computer, not mounted around, and I would have nowhere to put the additional speakers.

Thanks,
-Klosteral

there are no computer speakers that have solid deep bass and sharp clear highs. And any speakers that cost $250 will never be the best.
what you want is to connect the computer audio out to an external amplifier, then power studio monitors, like JBL. But that costs more than $250.
Or you want powered Tannoy studio monitors.

RishiGuru

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

It seems you want both ends of the audio spectrum. Deep bass & clear highs. Tough call.

2.1 will be much favorable for deep bass.

Read this comparative review of Tom'Hardware for 2.1: Five 2.1 Speaker Round Up

Tom'sHardware Five 2.1 Speaker Round Up Winner: Logitech Z-623 ($140)

Read this comparative review of Tom'Hardware for 2.0: Four 2.0 Speaker Round Up

Tom'sHardware Four 2.0 Speaker Round Up Winner: M-Audio AV 40 ($180)

I am more of a bass freak than a treble freak.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
its true.. you wont get 'the best' for $250
but the same can be said if you paid $25,000
the government has to make the best of the best speakers to listen for aliens.
really.. most of the high resolution recording is done with computers, and if anything 'weird' is recorded - it is analyzed on the computer and listened to with speakers if by choice.

and searching through speakers designed specifically for the computer isnt going to give the best results.
even the studio monitors made for computers arent as high quality as what you can purchase for the home theater.

i havent heard the m-audio av40's
but i am sure they are using speakers from the 'list' of upgrades that are being pushed out into the economy.

i purchased a pair of midrange's for $35
they go into a home speaker set that cost $2,000 a pair
the same speakers are also found in the center channel and surround speakers.
those are $450 each

okay.. the tower speakers have two in the front and one in the rear.
and the center/surround has two of the speakers in one cabinet.
i put one speaker in each three-way speaker (one on each side)
i got the quality of the expensive speakers for $35 without having to purchase the whole thing for $2,000

its a bit silly.. but there are speakers that have better details if you are willing to purchase just the speakers and hook them up to an amplifier of your choice.

if i had you build a pair of speakers that are supposed to sound better than the m-audio av40's
you would have to try and build some boxes .. purchase an amplifier .. and still need tweeters and a crossover.
it would cost more than $180 altogether.
and that is the strong competition of building things in mass quantities.
those m-audio av40's have parts that are bought at wholesale prices.
so they can get you an amp and a box to put the speakers in cheaper because they have purchased enough parts to build like 3,000 of them.

that makes my arguement seem pointless and a waste of time.
but the FUN is having some speakers that sound so good that you would be willing to smash those m-audio av40's with a hammer.

that is about where i am at.
willing to spend 30% more for parts so that the final result sounds better.

rishiguru is right.. if you are gonna buy some pre-built speakers, you will get the best frequency response if the set comes with a subwoofer.

you cant purchase three way computer speakers.
they are all two way speakers with a subwoofer for the bass.
my speakers dont have a subwoofer.. but there is a 12 inch subwoofer in each speaker cabinet already.

of course i have more bass, but i had to buy the parts and put them together like legos.
i was able to purchase my 12's from my cousin.
i think i paid $100 for both speakers and a home made box that he built and carpeted for the trunk of a car.

the whole point of purchasing something is to get what you want to make you happy.
and you have asked for deep solid bass.. that is sometimes hard to find with pre-built hardware.
if you want speakers that have lots of details, they probably wont have any bass at all and you will be forced to purchase a subwoofer.
and if you are shopping for a subwoofer, there are lots of options that dont play really deep bass.. because the subwoofer box isnt tuned low enough.

its a game of knowing what you want, and then dodging all of the obstacles thrown at you when you start shopping.
and you know.. its only like this so there isnt only 10 - 12 different things to choose from.
people get what they deserve because they dont research the products before they buy them.
instead, they have something and they are unhappy with it.
the gather what they are unhappy about and start searching for a new product that doesnt have the same problems.
its fun as long as you arent forced to purchase something and are forced to keep what you dont like.

with all of that said.. how deep and low do you want to go?
what kind of clarity are you looking for from the midrange and tweeters?
does it have to be audiophile detail/clarity .. or does it simply have to play a wide frequency response?

i would strongly suggest that you use a frequency generator to determine exactly how low you want the bass to go.
because there are lots and lots of speakers that stop at about 35hz
some even stop as high as 40hz
a subwoofer is supposed play from 10hz - 30 or 40hz
but many of them only play 30hz - 40hz
sure, they go higher than 40hz.. but the speakers you are going to match the subwoofer with can play those frequencies already.

you can use this frequency generator:
http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

the generator is on the left.
you put in what frequency you want.. make sure 'sine' button is selected.
then press the on/off button.

i dont know how you are going to use it if you dont have speakers or headphones that can play the bass.. but it would help us make the right choices to ensure you are happy with what we suggest.

and also be well informed, that, regardless of which speakers we suggest.. you wont get the full experience unless you get a calibration microphone to calibrate an equalizer so the frequency response is flat.

of course, if a speaker has details, you are going to hear those details without calibrating an equalizer.

i think there are a lot of speakers out there that dont have any extra details.
and all you can do is calibrate an equalizer to try and get the frequency response flatter.

audio isnt easy if you dont care to take the steps needed to get quality results.
there are more products designed to simply make listening to music possible.
it has nothing to do with the listening experience being enjoyable.
instead, the audio industry has decided that people are going to want bass with their music and movies.. so they simply add a subwoofer.
it doesnt mean the subwoofer works like its supposed to.
no.. no.. no..
the subwoofer is there because the 3 inch speaker doesnt make any bass at all.
a stock car radio would have more bass than lots of the computer speakers and home theaters in a box.

BOSE was the first company to help people who wanted to enjoy the listening experience.
these people wanted more than some speakers that worked simply for the sake of having audio.

its like saying you want a car.. but you want to enjoy driving it.
there are lots of cars that allow you to drive from one place to the other.
but they are slow.. the suspension is too stiff (lots of harsh bumps)
the suspension isnt balanced (you turn a corner and the car bounces)
two engines.. both are the same size, but one runs out of gas faster than the other one.
one car often gets stuck in the snow.. another one doesnt.

these are just the BASICS.
there are other things like quality of materials used to create the interior.
a dedicated oil pressure needle to tell you that you are low on oil (compared to a light)
a small computer to tell you how many miles you have left before you run out of gas.. what direction you are going.. how hot/cold it is outside.. what your current gas consumption is.
headlights that work, but shine into other peoples eyes (compared to headlights that work, but dont shine into other peoples eyes)

these are known as variables.
people looking for speakers need a form to fill out so we know what they want.
you said you want deep bass, how deep do you want to go?
how detailed do the vocals need to be?

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Wow that is an excellent post!

Ok I am both a musician and a gamer. I have a Yamaha MO8 and a Roland 950W amplifier for it. The optimal situation would be to have them in the one room and connect the PC to that amp, it would sound great.

But I do not trust my friends - who like to come around for a drink and some video games - to be anywhere near my precious keyboard. My gaming PC is set up in a different room and I usually use it with Sennheiser PC 350 headphones. I want the PC 2.1 speakers for those times when more than one person what to hear what is coming out of the computer - be it for games, movies or music.

My laptop is connected to my keyboard and amp so I can still put good music and games out of that if I really want to, but that really only happens while I am on my own.

My situation cannot be changed. I cannot hook the PC which I want the speakers for to my amplifier and there is not enough room for anything more than a 2.1. So the Logitech Z623 seems to be a good choice. It has decent reviews and even has the minor features that I like, such as volume and bass controls being on one of the speakers instead of on a seperate unit.

I suppose I do not need the best of the best - not that I could afford it anyway - but I want my friends to go "Woah that explosion was epic!" or "Dude, these are great speakers!". Now I know none of my friends are audiophilles, nothing on me at least. These are the kind of people who think the Plantronics GameCom 777 is "The Best" headset ever. They haven't got anything on my PC 350s...

I guess I should reword my question too "Which 2.1 system has the best bass?" because for some reason that is how many people judge speaker quality, and we will be talking to much for the higher frequencys to be noticed.

Thanks for your opinions,
-Klosteral

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Also, I should add that I would prefer to get the speakers locally and not posted to me. These two locations are my preference (more so the first one).
http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=26&page=1
http://www.netplus.com.au/products-listing.asp?code=SP8&group=Logitech%20Speakers
What can be said about the Antec Lansing speakers or the Hyundai models? Also, there are some Logitech speakers (such as the ones from NetPlus) that have quite large subwoofers. What does that mean?

Thanks,
-Klosteral

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

hi.
i just looked at those two websites you provided and have some bad news.
none of those speakers for sale are going to meet your needs.
i took interest into the subwoofers and seen one that only plays down to 45hz .. another one that only plays down to 40hz .. and the rest of them only play down to 35hz

that means all of them will bottom out and make obnoxious noises/problems when you listen to those explosions you want to hear.
i have the klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers and that subwoofer goes down to 31hz .. but it loses box compression and flaps around and sounds stupid, making obnoxious noises, when the explosion goes lower than what the box is tuned for.

some of the speakers have total harmonic distortion of 10%
and that is completely pathetic.. or to say it nicer and more detailed, there arent any details played from the speaker.. only the basic sound (and it will sound gritty like sandpaper).

IF one of those speaker sets have speakers that can play some details.. it doesnt do you any good if the subwoofer is junk.
you might be able to extend the tune of the box by adding a paper towel roll to the end of the port.
but there's no telling how long it has to be.
i've tried to add an extension to my klipsch subwoofer and the regular size of 1.5ft? wasnt long enough.
so if you are prepared to put 4ft - 5ft of port extension on the outside of the subwoofer.. you could TRY and lower the tune of the box.
but i really dont think you will succeed.
because the internal space of the box is what makes the majority of the tune.. if you try to extend the tune lower by making the port longer, you have to add lots and lots of extension.
could be as long as 8ft - 12ft

you could try to increase the internal volume of the box by adding polyfil.. but that might catch on fire or melt.
it would also make the amplifier run much much hotter, which could make the amplifier quit working (either totally or only for a little bit because of thermal protection)
besides, if you are running the amplifier so hot that the thermal protection kicks in.. you are taking years off of the life of the amplifier.

seriously.. 35hz is WAY too high to be listening to explosions.
you cant lower the tune reasonably.
getting the tune down 2-3hz isnt enough.
the subwoofer will still lose air pressure and when it does, the subwoofer is going to move in and out violently.. which usually makes obnoxious noises with the air.
and if it gets really bad, the subwoofer will bottom out.. and that is a loud noise which is also unhealthy for the subwoofer.
you might break a tinsil lead and/or unravel the copper voice coil (or maybe even burn any aluminum wrapped up inside the voice coil)

i dont know what the tune is on the logitech z623
its probably 35hz again.
but simply looking at the size of the box and the size of the subwoofer.. its not possible to have a stock tune low enough for explosions.

okay video game explosions might not play low enough to make any difference, but they should start fixing that problem for people who have high quality speaker setups.
dolby movies will almost always play lower than what those subwoofers can handle.
see, a boom from a grenade or c4 is okay.. and that is enough for THX certification.
but when you start getting rumbles from an earthquake.. its all over!
the only way to prevent bottoming out then is to have a subwoofer that can play down to something like 25hz
you have to have the box lose all of its pressure at the perfect time.. which is in the 20's
the reason why it needs to be in the 20's is because that is when the bass stops being audible and starts moving air that you can feel.
people try to say there is no audio to be heard below 20hz
and its probably true.
there is no decibels to be heard.. only sound pressure levels (which is being able to feel the air moving)

i am seeing lots and lots and lots of good reviews of the logitech z2300
but the subwoofer only plays down to 35hz again.
obviously the speakers sound a bit better than junk.

large speakers helps fill the room with sound pressure.
because the speaker cone pushes on air to make noise.
the more surface area of the speaker cone = the more air that can be pushed = the louder it should be.

a 2 or 3 inch speaker trying to play as loud as a 5.25 inch speaker .. the smaller speaker will be moving in and out a whole bunch while the bigger speaker is moving only a few millimeters (just vibrating)

you can get big decibel numbers from a small subwoofer if the box is designed for it .. but the small subwoofer wont get down into the lower frequencies because lower frequencies are harder to hear since they are more involved with moving massive chunks of air.
tweeters and midranges only need to move molecules of air.
woofers and subwoofers need to move strings of molecules of air because the wavelengths are longer.
just think of the speaker cone popping out for the letter 'P'
one pulse outwards should help you realize the speaker pushing on the air.

once you get past 35hz .. you need a speaker that can act like a fan.

if you dont have any more local store options .. and you refuse to have something sent in the mail .. you are out of luck.
maybe you can put the subwoofer next to the wall and run the port extension along the wall so it is somewhat out of the way.
but i dont think you want to hear bass coming from the subwoofer .. and then more bass coming from 12ft away.
the only way to make something like that work without causing problems is if you setup the speaker and port extension so that each end produces sound in 'stereo'
that means one output on the left side and one output on the right side.

i gotta say.. listening to bass in stereo is awesome.
its so much better than hearing bass from one side of the room.
you really dont want to have the main speakers in front of you and have bass coming from behind you.
it will mess with your brain and sound generally bad because its all so awkward.

anyways.. the logitech z623 has really bad reviews complaining about inferior soundquality that is so bad the THX certification shouldnt be on the product.
i dont know if i can/should post the link here.. but you can read the review i am talking about here:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/logitech_speaker_system_z623_review

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Ok, again, nice post.

I think you misunderstand me. I am an audiophille and I have headphones for that.
I am not prepared to order my speakers over the internet or have them posted long distances. MSY is one of the cheapest places in Perth and NetPlus is the closest to my house. There are also places like DickSmith but they can be expensive.

Please tell me the best speaker set from any of these places:
www.msy.com.au
www.austin.net.au
www.netplus.com.au
www.dicksmithelectronics.com.au

I know they will be crap, but they will have to do. My friend uses a set of Logitech LS21 speakers, so I am happy so long as they are better than those.

-Klosteral

RishiGuru

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Klosteral, it seems you have decided to get the Z-623. Just do all of us a little favor. Spare a little bit of time and write a review on Z-623 & post on this forum. Since you are an audiophile, your review will be very informative to others.

Regards, RishiGuru

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

nope.. the above is what i read.

nobody can tell you what a speaker sounds like if they havent heard it themselves.
there are some facts i can go by though.

the creative gigaworks t3 set seems promising because the subwoofer is in a sealed box.
and thats great because you dont have to worry about the ported box losing air pressure because you are playing bass that is lower than the box tune.

i read the reviews on amazon.com and people were saying things about the satellite speakers sounding better than average.
thats gotta be a plus..!
what i was originally thinking, if the satellite speakers aren't up to par with your audiophile tastes.. you can always swap them out for an upgrade and use the amplifier in the subwoofer to power the new speakers.
however, i could not find a power specification for the amplifier.
i looked for a manual to get the detailed info and couldnt find one.
i did manage to come across some details that arent in the specifications on the main page of the manufacturers website.
the frequency range is said to be 30hz - 20khz
what i said about being deep enough doesnt necessarily apply hear.. because the subwoofer is in a sealed enclosure, you should be able to use an equalizer to boost the 20hz frequency and get extra low.

i read the reviews at amazon.com and they said that the amplifier is designed to gradually bring the satellites louder than the subwoofer at high volume.
that shouldnt be a problem if you use a software equalizer to boost the subwoofer back up.
soundcards sometimes come with an equalizer in the driver/software package.. but if not, most audio players for the PC have an equalizer.
i prefer a sealed box subwoofer for my car audio so that i dont have to worry about bottoming out the speaker when i want to play really really low bass.
the subsonic filters are generally set at 10hz .. so i would expect my subwoofer to play all the way down to that.
sealed boxes arent going to play low low bass at the same volume as higher bass.
not unless the box is built about twice as big so the sealed tune of the box allows the subwoofer to move in and out more for low bass reproduction.
and if you make the box extra big.. you will be subtracting from the higher bass notes output because the notes get lost in the wind.
if i wanted to make a ported box with the a proper tune of 20hz.. i wouldnt have any trunk space left.
and i can fit about three bodies in my trunk.

if you decide to go with this speaker set, you will be rewarded with a highly engineered subwoofer.
that means people spent lots of time getting it right.
there are two speakers inside the box that push on one bigger speaker.
the bigger speaker doesnt have a magnet or a voice coil.. and it might not have a basket either.
there are two very very good reasons why the subwoofer has the potential to sound good.
the first and probably most important is the fact that the speakers inside have two chambers of sealed air.
you can see what i am talking about here:
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=4813

because there are two chambers of sealed air.. it gives the designers a chance to optimize one sealed chamber for the high notes - and the other sealed chamber for the low notes.
(this is why bandpass boxes have the best chance of playing a flat frequency response regardless of where you put the speaker box inside the room)

the second important fact is that, because the entire thing is sealed air tight, the big speaker will move in and out exactly the same as the smaller speakers inside.
its a design choice.. you can make the big speaker play every exact detail that the smaller speakers are playing - or you can choose to have the big speaker hide any of the problems that the smaller speakers have by making the big speaker harder to move.
how much harder to move is all relative to how bad the smaller speakers are.

its a really really beautiful process.
remember when i said bigger speakers make more air move?
well if you put two 4 inch speakers inside the box.. that equals 8 inches of cone surface area.
but because the box is airtight, you can make the big speaker 10 or 12 inches .. which adds 2 - 4 inches of cone surface area.
that means it will move more air.
speaking extremely technical.. all you have to do is increase the magnet strength of the inside speakers so that the cone moves in and out with more force.
the technical parameter is called BL
and it is defined as the force of the speaker cone as it moves.
some speakers.. if you push your finger on it, the speaker will stop moving.
other speakers will slow down, but will try to keep moving.
and the big monster speakers will break your finger or jam the finger joint because the force is stronger than your finger.

so, again, by increasing the BL of the speaker.. you can take two small speakers and increase the surface cone area with a larger 'passive radiator'
that will move more air and produce more bass.
you need the ability to move air if you want to play low bass.

for example.. if you wanted to play 10hz and be able to 'hear' it
you would have to fill up the entire room with air and allow the speakers to 'press' on the air.
that pressure would be felt on your skin.
and if you open the door and stand in the doorway, you could feel the air moving in and out at a frequency of 10hz

i lived next door to a guy that had so much sound pressure going on in the house that he opened the door and i could feel the airwaves as i was standing outside.
he now operates an audio solution for celebrity concerts and carnival events.
i remember he had a huge portable soundmixer and three different rack of amplifiers that run on 220v

i dont see why you wouldnt be happy with the gigaworks t3
the reviews said the satellites sound better than average and they said the subwoofer is capable of shaking a room.
get yourself an equalizer to adjust the 20hz and 30hz seperately and you should be set.

i am a little bit interested to hear how they sound for myself.. because i would make them my default choice for people looking for suggestions.

the website page that you can find the speakers is this:
http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/AUDSPCRT3/Default.aspx

i just found a website that shows the details of the power ratings..
15 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms for the satellites
50 watts x 1 for the subwoofer

that doesnt give you a lot of power to upgrade the satellites if you think they are crap.. but the reviews said they arent.
anyways..
i read something wrong.
there isnt two speakers inside the subwoofer.
its one 6.5 inch inside with two 6.5 inch 'passive radiators' on the outside.
see.. one 6.5 is pushing on two radiators that are twice the speaker cone surface area.

i only have one concern.. maybe these speakers arent loud enough for your liking.
i know a 6.5 inch speaker can play lower than 30hz
there is a klipsch promedia 2.1 subwoofer of mine that does it (sounds like crap because of the box its in.. but its capable of doing it)
and i also have two sony bookshelf speakers with some 6.5 inch drivers that will play lower than 30hz (their box is tuned at 40hz.. but the speaker moves a great deal at 20hz .. just gotta have the right box to make use of it all)

50 watts for a single 6.5 inch speaker is enough to impress.
i was gonna say its not enough.. but it says my klipsch 6.5 inch sub is running on 50 watts - and that thing pounds (but doesnt play low enough)

i find it hard to believe that the satellites running on 15 watts each is going to be a lot louder than the subwoofer.
but here is some more good news about the set:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342506,00.asp
it says the speakers dont distort at high volumes.. thats a major positive note for the one suggesting the speakers LOL

anyways..
15 watts is enough to run some 40 watt peerless high definition sound speakers if you really are thirsty for an upgrade in vocal details.
and that is for the 5.25 and 6.5 inch drivers.
you might be able to find a smaller driver

i just looked.. and parts-express has some peerless HDS woofers that are 4 inch and 30 watts @ 8 ohms
but anyway.. that is a do-it-yourself project that requires you to build your own speaker boxes.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
How about something like this compared to the Creative system you listed? They are a little bit cheaper, look quite a bit cooler and each satellite has a 3" speaker as well as a 1" 'tweeter' which could give better definition between the sounds. Also, the entire unit is rated at a notable 200W so it will undoubtebly fill my whole room. This also has a 6.5" subwoofer which should fill my bass requirements - providing I software-tweak it - as it is only rated at 40Hz-20kHz (not that you would expect much more from Plantronics). You can find the specifications and the store page below:
http://international.alteclansing.com/images/spec/E5566_MX6021%20Sell%20Sheet%20R01.pdf
http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/AUDSPALMX6021/Default.aspx

This lansing speaker would be what I would aim for should my budget be magically ripped in half. Antec has recently been releasing some quite decent speakers with solid bass; I listened to a couple at Harvey Norman and JB-Hi-Fi nearby. The design is nice and the sound levels would be what one would expect at only half the price.
http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/AUDSPAL-FX3021/Default.aspx

Please do not speak to me about tweaking or making my own speakers; I am going to be content with whatever I get straight from the box - or through Windows Sound Manager - but I will not go much further. As I say, I have Sennheiser PC 350 headphones for the finer detail and really high-quality sound. This 2.1 system is when I do not feel like having my head clamped in or group-listening.

I thank you all for your input and I will be doing a review on both my Sennheiser PC 350s and whichever set of speakers I buy.

-Klosteral

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
you didnt report about using the frequency generator as i advised you to do.
therefore you lost me.

i cant help the rude and/or lazy.

Probably best not to refer to fellow users as rude or lazy. Moderator.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I genuinely apologise. I have used the frequency generator you posted and it is very useful, I just did not post about it. What I found is that I do not need anything lower than 30Hz coming out of my speakers (while my headphones will be capable of about 10Hz).

I believe if I use a bass booster and crank up the subwoofer volume, almost any speaker setup will give the kind of effect I want. I do not think that I will want so much the lowest tones coming out of the speaker (not lower than 30Hz) instead I would change the ratio of treble/bass so that it would give the illusion of being bassier than it is.

anywaypasible I do not wish to offend you in any way. Your posts have been very useful and informative.

-Klosteral

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the best that i can do for you is suggest you see what happens when you play a subwoofer lower than the ported tune.

i'll search for an online video or make one myself.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I do not know if I can do that without actually puchasing a subwoofer, so your offer to post a video would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
-Klosteral

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Ok I have seen the video. Now I have my questions.
1) What is that slight thumping sound - other than the output frequency - that I hear while the speaker is playing?
2) The sound coming out of the speakers while going through the stages sounded the same; the only change was pitch. I do not really understand what you are trying to show me.
3) Do you think a bass range of under 40Hz would really be necessary for speech or occasional explosions? I think I would do most of my music listening through other audio devices.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

1 - your guess is as good as mine
2 - the amplitude (volume) goes down significantly at 28hz
3 - i dont think vocals have anything to do with a subwoofer.

you started this post asking for deep bass.
the title of the post asks for a premium set of 2.1 or stereo speakers.
now you are talking about cutting off the bass frequencies at 40hz
and you are going on about a subwoofer being valuable for speech.

i'd say you have broken the rules of conduct in the following ways:

Harass
embarrass
insult
Hate speech (abusive .. infringing)
Disrupt the natural flow of forum discussion
Trolling, defined as knowingly soliciting strong negative responses simply for shock value.
Impersonation (of desire)

you are out to enflame and embarrass those who are willing to help you.

i have given a detailed answer to everything you have asked.. i hope anybody searching the forums will come across these details.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Look no I am sorry, I am what some call a "noob" in this department. I know I have played some games - such as Grand Theft Auto IV - where during the speech scenes, the characters speak in quite low tones. I am not mocking you, I am asking "dumb" questions so that I can get a "smart" answer.

In my searches, I have found no speakers (aside from yours) that have a bass frequency of below 35Hz, the average being 40Hz. I am wondering if I would be able to compromise with a 40Hz speaker if my budget made that necessary. It is obvious that you know much, much more about speakers than I do so that is why I am asking.

I am not trying to mock you. You are just reading my posts the wrong way.

-Klosteral

Status
Not open for further replies.