Dell M1530 recovery disk full

kenspeegle

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Is there a way to increase the amount of memory space allotted to dell recovery disk D? message says it's 99.4% full and this has turned into a pain in the neck!

Thanks!

Solution
I have the same system. As the other post says this is just a small 10g partition that contains the original Dell factory image files. You should not put any other files on this drive. Go into My Computer and move any files that you put in there. If I remember correctly there should be approx 1.5gig's free on this partition. I personally have formatted and deleted all extra partitions on my drive as I've gone with Win7 64bit. Hope this helps. Using the "clean-up or remove" option that you were talking about isn't going to clear up any space as that's only looking for temp files.

kenspeegle

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
The reason I want to increase the size is because the error message I'm seeing is telling me that the space allotted for recovery is full and to delete unneccessary files. The problem is, when I click on the "remove" option for unneeded files, it says that 0 bytes will be freed. I figure if I increase the available memory for recovery disk I can buy enough time to get to the bottom of this and work out a more permanent solution. Make sense? I'm at my wit's end -- and Dell tech support/customer support is absolutely no help.

I'd appreciate any guidance you could give.

Thanks--

chefjoshuasmith

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have the same system. As the other post says this is just a small 10g partition that contains the original Dell factory image files. You should not put any other files on this drive. Go into My Computer and move any files that you put in there. If I remember correctly there should be approx 1.5gig's free on this partition. I personally have formatted and deleted all extra partitions on my drive as I've gone with Win7 64bit. Hope this helps. Using the "clean-up or remove" option that you were talking about isn't going to clear up any space as that's only looking for temp files.

Solution

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
If you have all your CDs and drivers, you could just do what I did and get rid of that partition altogether. That way, if you need to reformat, you can get a clean install without all the Dell software.

kenspeegle

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

Perfect! Thanks a lot for the more detailed advice. I'll go ahead and give that a shot. I just wish I knew how I managed to get stuff saved in there in the first place. Oh well -- I don't guess THAT really matters now that I'm going to get the extra cr*p cleared out of there.

Thanks!