Solved! Shopping for a new Laptop - Advice requested

asorelle

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
1_What is your budget?

- Not set yet, but between 1k and 1.5k U.S.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

-as large of a screen as possible.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

- High as possible, but over 1600 is not terribly important.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

- desktop replacement, but also used for school.

5_How much battery life do you need?

- 2-3 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

- Most newer games on medium.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

- Photo, video, audio editing/watching. Adobe products mostly.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

- Not terribly important, i can upgrade the HD later.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

- Newegg has been the best reference for me so far, but i'd like to be able to shop around. Not sure where else to look.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

- Several years. I don't buy new computers very often.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I'm aiming for a bluray writer, but that's not important really.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

- Toshiba seems to have quality products in my price range, Sony is decent also from what I've seen. I'd be very open to other brands.

- I've heard bad things about Acers and their customer service, not sure i want to deal with them.

13_What country do you live in?

- USA, Ohio

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

- So far the Toshiba Qosimo seems to be the best laptop in my range, but like i said above, i haven't shopped around too much just because i don't really know where to look. I would appreciate any good sites that i could look into.

- I'd like to stick with NVIDIA graphics & I'm most interested in a Core i7.

asorelle

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Does the HD 5870 out perform the GTS 360m by a lot? I'd really like to stick with Nvidia, but if it blows it out of the water then i will obviously go with the Ati