Solved! I'm looking for a dream laptop for college

Yanso

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
1_What is your budget? 1000 max (I'm entering college so money is a bit tight)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I need something manageable to bring to class and bring home/ local eateries/library.

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1280x800?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Yes, my current laptop is dying...

5_How much battery life do you need? I would like at least two hours. My laptop has a life of five min. which is horrible.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I probably won't be playing games on this computer.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I do a lot of photo editing (photoshop etc.), I also would like to use this to watch movies and download things.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? At least 100 gigs. More would be lovely.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. : Newegg seems to be the best bet

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? Four-Six years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD Rom would be good.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.: I consider myself a newbie to the computer buying world and I'm open to anything.

13_What country do you live in? The United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.: Money is tightish so finding a cheaper option would be preferable.

Solution

Which do you need? Based on your answer, there are different types of laptops we can recommend.

Seeing as you want to do some photo editing though, I'd recommend at least a 14", with 15" being the optimum. They usually run with 1366x786 resolution, which should be enough for your needs.

You could always start here with the Asus UL80VT-A1 from XoticPC.

14" 16:9 at 1366x768
4 GB RAM at 1066 MHz
nVIDIA G210M 512 MB card
320GB 5400 RPM ( meh.. upgrade this lol ) hard drive
SU7300 Core 2 Duo CULV 1.3 GHz (might lead to some throttling with intensive tasks?)

Base price is $819 USD.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Which do you need? Based on your answer, there are different types of laptops we can recommend.

Seeing as you want to do some photo editing though, I'd recommend at least a 14", with 15" being the optimum. They usually run with 1366x786 resolution, which should be enough for your needs.

You could always start here with the Asus UL80VT-A1 from XoticPC.

14" 16:9 at 1366x768
4 GB RAM at 1066 MHz
nVIDIA G210M 512 MB card
320GB 5400 RPM ( meh.. upgrade this lol ) hard drive
SU7300 Core 2 Duo CULV 1.3 GHz (might lead to some throttling with intensive tasks?)

Base price is $819 USD.

Solution

wleigh

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
There will be a great "burst" product offering at Best Buy this week. When I say burst think of it like a black friday deal that you need to be there at 11am this sunday morning to make sure you get one.

HP G62
15.6"
Core i3-330 (edit - forgot to put this on)
4gig ddr3
500gig 7200rpm HD
intel HD integrated graphic card

This has a new finish, unlike any HP laptop on the market at this time, its really nice!
This will be around $600, its a great buy, but like I said get there early to make sure you get one.

good luck.