Studio Monitor: Best in terms of quality?

nazanone

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm very close to get my new pair of decent studio monitors. I'm going to use them to mix some tracks but only for hobbie, i'm an amateur who like to record songs with my midi controller, my important use will be listening music in high quality in about a 80%.

I want the best studio monitor for the price in terms of quality and frequency response, so i thought in a 8" woofer or a smaller monitor with a subwoofer, i will put in a small desk so i will have benefit from a small monitor i think, obviously with MoPads and at the ear's level.

Another requirement is a non fatiguing system because i will use a lot of hours per day. I will put near the wall so another benefit will be a front ported system right? May be at 70cm from the wall...and i will sit from the system from about 70cm too.

In a short future i will treat my room.(The prices are from Paraguay, i'm from Latin America)

Yamaha HS80M u$s 1600
Samson Rubicon R8A u$s 925
KRK RP8G2 u$s 800
Behringer B3031A u$s 1000

Genelec 8020 u$s 1200
M-Audio BX8A u$s 900
Mackie MR8 u$s 1150
KRK VXT6 u$s 1150
KRK VXT8 u$s 1450
KRK VXT4 + Subwoofer KRK 10S u$s 1450
Adam A3X u$s 930
Adam A5X u$s 1440
Focal CMS40 u$s 1150
Focal CMS50 u$s 1680

Subwoofers:
Adam Sub 7 Pro sub u$s 901
Adam Sub8 sub u$s 1161
Tapco Subwoofer u$s 625
KRK 10S Subwoofer u$s 665
M Audio Subwoofer BX10s u$s 950

I would like to buy an Adam A7X, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Focal CMS65, Genelec 8030A but they are in the price range of u$s 2100, too much money for me...

With all these options which is the best for my purpose?¿ I liked the VXT4 with the subwoofer but i'm not sure, because i can get the benefit of a great mid range because the small woofer, i can place them easy in my desktop, they are front ported reflex, and i will get the benefit from the subwoofer too in terms of low bass extension...

Thanks all1354

ReggaeMixer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

If you want low priced Wonderful sounding moitors check out Behringer Truth B2031A's and their Sub B2092A you can get the set for around $900... and that be cheap for good sounding monitors...

ReggaeMixer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Where do you get your info from??? have you ever been in a studio?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
maybe 'JBL' was reference to the motor used for the speaker.
for instance.. 'XBL^2' has spread across the internet.
the motor is said to be a patented design that flattens the speaker's BL curve (BL = force)

it wouldnt be suprising to learn manufacturers are trying to patent their designs when they find something useful.
i'm sure the speaker designer's all have names for the different types of magnet and voice coil combinations.
whether those names are politically correct or simply well known in-house terms.. it would be a category for quick description, instead of having to test the speaker and perhaps disassemble it to learn what is what.
and that makes sense, because speaker upgrades are becoming quite popular.
if you havent been following speaker upgrades since the 1980's and 1990's ... the new high definition audio formats should be enough to provoke thought towards speaker improvements.
BOSE helps teach the public that there is an 'audiophile' market in existance.

i really shouldnt be commented about JBL speakers as a manufacturer or brand name, as i havent heard any of their speakers for more than a decade.
maybe there is a seperate class of speakers for consumers and studios.
it wouldnt suprise me to learn of a list of speakers that are on a private list.
kinda like a business license or wholesale fee, you have to pay to get in. (or know the right people to offer an invite)

michaelst

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Raggeamixer... soundguru is correct. Many, if not most, studios do not use a sub with nearfield monitors with 6" or more woofers.
However, most DO have subs with studio monitors. The difference being one set is a 'nearfield', and the other being 'studio'.

For home use, you'd generally use nearfield monitors, which function exactly as thier description - NEAR. Treatment of the roon is normally to reduce reflection, and not so much frequency control, as you're hearing the sound directly from the speakers.

Studio monitors usually require frequency control because they are used in rooms with more cubic space, and you hear more of the room.

The OP will be mixing in a smaller space, thus the need for nearfild monitors. I believe an 8" nearfild monitor will give him enough bass to not require a subwoofer.
The Behringer truths are a good value, even without a sub. The Mackie's are also a good value, and in my opinion more precise.

If the OP does want a sub, he'd only need a 5" nearfield.

michaelst

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Raggeamixer... soundguru is correct. Many, if not most, studios do not use a sub with nearfield monitors with 6" or more woofers.
However, most DO have subs with studio monitors. The difference being one set is a 'nearfield', and the other being 'studio'.

For home use, you'd generally use nearfield monitors, which function exactly as thier description - NEAR. Treatment of the roon is normally to reduce reflection, and not so much frequency control, as you're hearing the sound directly from the speakers.

Studio monitors usually require frequency control because they are used in rooms with more cubic space, and you hear more of the room.

The OP will be mixing in a smaller space, thus the need for nearfild monitors. I believe an 8" nearfild monitor will give him enough bass to not require a subwoofer.
The Behringer truths are a good value, even without a sub. The Mackie's are also a good value, and in my opinion more precise.

If the OP does want a sub, he'd only need a 5" nearfield.