Fan jack repair for HP Pavilion ze2000

tomlucid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hi,

Was in the process of replacing my laptop fan (for the 2nd time in 2.5 years), when half the jack on the motherboard separated from the remaining half of the jack while attempting to pull out the fan connector. Looks like it will be a big deal to find and replace the jack, so was looking for someone out there who is familiar with this model and/or type of repair. The specific model of my laptop is ze2008wm, but is basically the same as the ze2000.

A black and red power wire is connected to one side of the fan jack with a black connector. The fan itself has a white/yellow wire as well as a black and red wire which is connected to the other side of the jack with a white connector. I presume the white wire relays heat sensor info to the circular circuit board on the fan.

Will it work to eliminate the jack, cut off the connectors that are attached to the power wire and fan, and attach the red and black wires of the power and fan? I was hoping to completely bypass the heat sensor input so that the fan runs all the time as this will be much less time consuming than trying to locate a jack and replace it. If the fan circuit board is disconnected from the heat sensor input will this result in the fan staying on all the time or will the fan not come on at all? Also can the fan withstand constantly running at high speed, or will it burn out relatively fast?

If needed, I can send pics, but have not taken any yet.

Thanks,
tomlucid

G

You seem to know the basics of wiring. How good are you at soldering ? If a beginner, buy the smallest iron you can find and practice on some piece of broken equipment.

By-passing the heat sensor may result in the fan being on all the time, but check that the voltage is correct in case the thermistor or associated devices normally adds some resistance, even at its operating temperature. In simple terms, check the fan isn't running faster than expected otherwise it will certainly die young.

The third fan wire may not be essential -- it usually just tells the computer the fan speed.

jacobclinester

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

you might want to try what i did, I extended the positive wire and soldered it to a positive 5 volt leg on a usb port and now the fan runs all the time, only thing is your fan will die sooner but it beats buying a motherboard.