Solved! Loooking for the best laptop

BonzerChicken

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
What is your budget?

This is the first time im every buying a laptop and the budget doesnt matter so please dont give me well this is good for the price no i just want the best of the best

What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

im thinking around a 15 to 17 inch

What screen resolution do you want?

doesnt matter to me

Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Im looking for a little bit of both i want to have a slim laptop that game still do the gaming of like SC 2, WC3, and CS Source

How much battery life do you need?

I would like a laptop that can go surfing online a semi good brightness for around 4 hours

Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Like i said im just going to be using it for WC3, SC, SC 2 thats coming out, Diablo 3 thats coming out and maybe counterstrike Source

What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I dont know right now but i might use a little bit of work with photoshop and a little video editing and i dont really know

How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Doesnt really matter because i use a lot of external ones but i would like at least 200gb

How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Hoping since i can buy the best of the best stuff it can last at least 5 years

What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Doesnt matter

What country do you live in?

Canada but i can order so doesnt really matter

And that i was looking at the alienwares specifically the m15x but it just seems a little to thick and heavy thats why im leaning towards a macbook pro 15 inch because of the great battery life the slim case and the ability to do my gaming.

But i would like a windows computer that is slim and light and able to do the gaming i need. So basically i want the macbook pro 15 inch on a windows, i was looking at the Dell XPS 16 and it looks good except with the bigger battery it weighs 2 more pounds

Solution
I'd suggest finding a Clevo distributor in your area and having something build to your needs. If you never heard of Clevo, well you probably never heard of the people who hav emade every laptop you have heard of since most don't actually make them....

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to...
I'd suggest finding a Clevo distributor in your area and having something build to your needs. If you never heard of Clevo, well you probably never heard of the people who hav emade every laptop you have heard of since most don't actually make them....

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu.

Ya can find out about Clevo and find local distributors in Canada here.....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

here's some:

http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,196,0)
http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,208,0)
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6

Solution
Size and weight is mostly battery and casing dependent.....

For example, no significant difference between these processors

Intel Core i5-520M Processor, 2.40 GHz, 3MB Smart Cache
Intel Core i5-540M Processor, 2.53 GHz, 3MB Smart Cache [add $40.00]
Intel Core i7-620M Processor, 2.66 GHz, 4MB Smart Cache [add $105.00]
Intel Core i7-720QM Processor, 1.6 GHz, 6MB Smart Cache [add $135.00]
Intel Core i7-820QM Processor, 1.73 GHz, 8MB Smart Cache [add $325.00]
Intel Core i7 Extreme i7-920XM Processor, 2.0 GHz, 8MB Smart Cache [add $880.00]

no significant difference between these HDs

320/7200rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
500/5400rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s) [add $15.00]
500/7200rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s) [add $40.00]
500/7200rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s) with G-Force Protection [add $59.00]
640/5400rpm GB SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s) [add $60.00]

You get the idea..... taken from

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=serial-price&serial=W870CU&promoteid=90000321&screenid=13118100&cpuid=30123300&hdid=40105526&cdromid=20074665&ramid=80113903&batteryid=10031877

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Check out th new Asus n61jv....VERY good laptop. I recommend buying it from Amazon. Same specs as the custom built except with advanced features stated on Amazon.com. Remember:

A LAPTOP IS NOT JUST THE SPECS. You have to consider ease of use and ergonomy as well. So far the Asus has gotten very good reviews. And it doesn't have a starting price of 1500 USD which comes with no operating system. Battery life is very good, as this laptop has switchable graphics. I would expect 5 hours at least. You can play Crysis at high settings @ 35 fps. What more could you want?

Feel free to ask more questions!

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Sadly, there is nothing comparable to the Macbook Pro. I would recommend you wait, though, as the new Macbook Pros with i3, i5, and i7 are scheduled to be out soon. Or, you can go with the great alternative above.

BonzerChicken

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
see i kinda want to get a macbook but since im not paying i have to get it now but i would really love for the new update to the Macs so thats my problem i dont know what to do but i think im going with the falcon tlx because its a really good desktop replacement which i like and it seems half decent at being portable