Is Acer laptops good ?

buddhikamh

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I see many Acer laptops with good specs are very cheap is it only because brand name or does it has anything to do with reliability/build quality ?

for example this ACER
Core i5 520M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

goes at $799 in newegg, thats amazing considering the specs

thanks.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

SquareTrade did a study to see the percentage of laptop and netbook failure in nine major manufacturers. They performed their test with 30,000 systems. According to their study, Acer and its subsidiary Gateway ranked near the bottom of the list.

Of course, this is just their study. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good, reliable Acer laptops. But from what I've read on Amazon and Newegg reviews, Acer laptops have a tendency to have loose parts and poor build quality.

buddhikamh

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ah yes I too saw that, so there is a problem of reliability. But the thing is although HP comes very last, ACER ones are much low priced than HPs considering similar spec.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Just an update: while I was browsing some other forums, Lenovo had posted a response saying that the Squaretrade report didn't test a sufficient number of systems to rank the laptops like that. Not sure if it was just a PR move, but just keep an open mind. =)

ashvindx

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
It's true that Acer provides good value. But the quality seems to vary. just check out the build quality.

I have seen the same Aspire model looking different in two shops, the one I have looks and is solid while one I saw in another shop has toy-like finish. So clealy the latter wouldn't hold long.

Same for HP, I have seen no-brand HP (no Pavillon or any model description except for 520 or 540). They look cheap compared to good Pavillon models.

I guess you just have to take it in your hands, try to twist the laptop before buying it (think I read that once in a review). And look at the plastic finish. If it looks cheap, it definitely isn't solid!

Asus laptops? Great, totally agree that they're solid.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
My personal impressions have been that they feel cheap... I know that's subjective and impossible to quantify. Perhaps going to a local store that has some Acers sitting out as display units would be a worthwhile investment of your time. Acer is quickly becoming the largest PC maker in the world so perhaps my opinion is a bit dated (things do change quickly in the computer world)

G

:hello:

hi friend i adwised u

no acer any brand not good

that don't purchesed acer any brand products.Because i m suffering from acer and its servicess i hv many complain id in few months and its part replace 8 time in a year in these day it not working properly.

So adwised u don't purchesed acer any brand

Shailendra Kumar maurya
Delhi
only.shailendra@yahoo.co.in,
1988mauryashailendra@gmail.com

G

:cry: my dear you listn a lokotti (KHAWAT)
that saasta rooye baar baar or menga roree ek baar

so don't adwise any person for perchesing acer any brand

Because i m suffering from acer and its servicess i hv many complain id in few months and its part replace 8 time in a year in these day it not working properly.
if u dont belebe it so call for 1800116677(Toll free acer Co. care/ Company care)
and gve these given any of id and find my detaal
031809-176,
052109-36,
072209-7,
110509-23,
011110-29,
032510-449,
032510-502

So adwised u don't adwise for any person for purchesed acer any brand

Shailendra Kumar maurya
Delhi
only.shailendra@yahoo.co.in,
1988mauryashailendra@gmail.com

Ikkyu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I have had an Aspire Acer laptop for almost four years already, bought in China (I live in Shanghai) and I have to say that the value for money is quite good. Sure, the build might not be the most attractive or the sturdiest, but still...

I have had only some problems with it, which I can describe, in case it helps anyone:

Problem 1: Screen began to flicker and go dark about one year after purchase (still in guarantee). It turned out to be an inverter problem. Acer techs did the appropriate changes and all was good again.

Problem 2: The cooling fan on the processor began to do an annoying noise (dust accumulation, probably), more than two years after purchase. I did not have time to bring it anywhere for a cleaning or substitution, but problem got not too bad, so I let it slide, sometimes underclocking the processor so it would run cooler.

Problem 3: One of the hinges (right side as you look at the screen) began to break apart little by little, so after some weeks it was not possible to close the laptop and the panels of the screen would be separated on that corner. This happened more than three years after purchase.
Acer techs changed the hinge and the whole plastic covers of the screen, on both sides. Not a super expensive work and good enough to keep it working. They also changed the fan, no additional charge.

Now, after more than 3.5 years, the laptop is humming away happily, but it is showing signs of age: screen is back flickering a bit, so I am afraid that inverter is giving problems again, and overall there are too many BSOD that I believe are not just coming from software issues.

I am considering change the laptop and I am looking at the same laptop the OP mentions, to be honest. I know it seems that I had a lot of problems, but my feeling is quite positive still for Acer, and to be honest, price is really attractive.

Now, any other suggestions for a gaming laptop with similar specs/performance and similar price?