Solved! Processor comparisons for vostro v13

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Hi all, I am looking into getting a lightweight compact laptop (not a netbook). I currently own a netbook (samsung nc10) and love it but need something with more power. I am looking at the vostro v13 and had a question regarding the processors.

I am looking at either of the following:
Intel® CoreTM 2 Solo SU3500 (1.4GHz, 3MB L2 cache) (Ultra Low Voltage)
Intel® Celeron 743 (1.2GHz, 1MB L2 cache) (Ultra Low Voltage)

I have read that the core 2 solo setup is about twice as fast as a netbook, but I don't know what to expect with the celeron.

I have never really been a fan of the celeron in the past years, but not really owned one. What do you all think about performance between these two?

Thanks!

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
well my netbook is ok, but yes a dual core cpu would certainly be nice. the trouble is that i am trying to stay within a budget and keep the laptop lightweight and slim (11-14 inch screen). I wont be using this machine for gaming or anything, the biggest possible program would be solidworks or some form of autocad. I realize those are far more intensive on the graphics card, but again, i dont know of any lightweight slim laptops that have a dedicated graphics card.

EDIT: I also dont care about win7 since i already have a copy of it, so purely from the perspective of the processor, is the solo really worth upgrading to?